New MI5 files about WW2 released today - Page 2

--

September 9th, 2010  
Korean Seaboy

Of course, the BEF (British Expeditionary Force) was mostly saved at Dunkirk, and they have returned and properly defended their land, but they still would have had a difficult time with the Home Guard.
September 9th, 2010  
LeEnfield

One should remember that most of the Home Guard were Veterans of many conflicts and most of them were WW1 veterans as well and would have given a good account of them selfs. Now I lived in Southern England during this period and it was not long before they were all armed with rifles and quite a range of other weapons. My friends dad who was not called up was issued with a Canadian rifle but for the life of me I can't remember the make of it. With the passing of time the Home Guard became a large well trained force of quite a few Divisions and they could have held there own on most battlefields
September 10th, 2010  
Korean Seaboy

Yes, the older members were quite competent, but those youths who have never seen a gun were quite incompetent
--
September 11th, 2010  
Partisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korean Seaboy
Yes, the older members were quite competent, but those youths who have never seen a gun were quite incompetent
Speaking from experience? Most of the Home Guard were the old blood, there were few young people in the Home Guard, most having enlisted or were in protected trades.

Even without this force, to supplement the regulars - you have still failed to consider the civilian population - truculent, cantankerous, proud and very independent, also resistant to invaders - similar to many countries around the world today - still we always forget this in the name of political expediency and military adventurism.
September 11th, 2010  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
One should remember that most of the Home Guard were Veterans of many conflicts and most of them were WW1 veterans as well and would have given a good account of them selfs. Now I lived in Southern England during this period and it was not long before they were all armed with rifles and quite a range of other weapons. My friends dad who was not called up was issued with a Canadian rifle but for the life of me I can't remember the make of it. With the passing of time the Home Guard became a large well trained force of quite a few Divisions and they could have held there own on most battlefields
I think that is debatable given that the same could be said for the Volkssturm and when put to the test they really did not perform well at all I personally can not see any reason why the Home Guard would have performed any better.
September 17th, 2010  
sunb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus
British, French and Norwegian troops under General Auchinleck were later defeated at the Battle of Narvik and forced to withdraw from German-controlled Norway.
The allies withdrew from Norway in June 1940 due to the German breakthrough on the front in France, and the Norwegian forces had to, in the end, capitulate as they were not powerful enough to fight alone. The battle lasted from the 9th of April - 8th of June 1940 and caused the Germans severe difficulties in the Norwegian campaign.
September 17th, 2010  
LeEnfield

Most of the Army that went to Norway was the TA. Also before WW2 many young men joined the Forces as it was better than working on the farm. Not only did you get paid you got three meals a day and uniform to wear and to top this off you traveled the world. Compared with many civilian jobs the Army wasn't a to bad an option
September 18th, 2010  
Coovert

Who were the Luftshutz? Civilian or Military?
Thank you. Coovert
September 18th, 2010  
Mark Conley

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus
Surprised that Ireland would have been involved. Would this have been a diversionary tactic?
probably not in my opinion.free ireland was supposed to be neutral during WW II, but more than likely, due to all the bad feeling from the past 200 years or so...maybe not. (i couldnt resist...i am partly irish and english, so i guess the part of me that thinks is always fighting with myself...)
September 18th, 2010  
LeEnfield

I is surprising that many people from the Republic of Ireland joined the British Forces and fought hard for Britain in WW2. It is a pity that the IRA still wont allow them to parade and remember their fallen in both World Wars south of the Border