New Mexico Man Torn Apart by Mountain Lion

AikiRooster

Tube Monkey USMC
Posted this mostly as a warning to any folks who live in New Mexico or for folks that may be visiting as this type of incident could ruin a vacation or business trip.

PINOS ALTOS, N.M. — Medical investigators have confirmed that a mountain lion was responsible for the death of a man who had been reported missing.
Relatives of Robert Nawojski, 55, said he liked to bathe and shave on a rock ledge about 60 yards from his home. The state Department of Game and Fish determined the lion attacked Nawojski just below the ledge, dragged his body a short distance and then ate and buried parts of it.
Searchers called the department Thursday night after encountering a mountain lion while searching for Nawojski, whose brother reported him missing earlier that day. The brother said he had last been seen on June 17.
A game officer who spotted the lion shot and wounded it.
Game and Fish officers and federal Wildlife Services agents continued searching for the animal Tuesday.
Rick Winslow, a Game and Fish large carnivore biologist, said it's rare for a mountain lion to kill a human. The last reported human killing by a lion in New Mexico was in 1974 when an 8-year-old Arroyo Seco boy was killed by a 47-pound female mountain lion.
Winslow estimated New Mexico has between 2,000 and 3,000 mountain lions, including a population in the Silver City and Pinos Altos areas.
"Attacks by wildlife may become more frequent as our growing population expands into the urban-wildland interface," Winslow said. "New Mexico has a healthy population of mountain lions and people who live around them must learn to take precautions and avoid dangerous encounters."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,371301,00.html

leaping_tiger.gif

Last edited:
Those things are starting to be seen again my area. This is great if your a conservationist, terrible if you're anyone else. I remember kids in my old school who loved animals saying it was terrible how the Soviets used to hunt wolves and bears from helicopters and how so many animals have been pushed into the far wilderness in North America. I guess they like the idea of large carnivores stalking around but I think getting rid of them was a good idea. Coyotes and black bears I've lived with the whole time, because they are not aggressive and will usually avoid even being seen, but mountain lions will go after you for a snack.

Last edited:
This is why you should always have a buddy with you when you go out into the wilderness. You don't have to out run the big kitty, just your buddy. :D

Oh yeah, totally tame black bear just walked through my yard the other day and my neighbor 5 houses down saw a mountain lion at night. Wishing I was 21 so I could get a GLOCK 20 for the long hikes.

Back