New Member in Virginia

Animal

Heard about this site on the Vietnam Security Police Assoc. bulletin board.

I was active duty Air Force in Security Police career field for 8 years - 1960 to 68, with 18 mos in Vietnam at Cam Ranh Bay Air Base from June 1966 to end of Jan 1968. Met some fine Army Infantry guys who came through there on in-country R & R. Their stories made me glad I was Air Force, although AF lost 111 Security Police in combat actions defending air bases in Vietnam. But, AF duty was better than slogging through the jungle every day. My unit in Vietnam, 12th Security Police Squadron, was awarded two Air Force Outstanding Unit Awards (one with Valor) while I was with them, so guess we were doing a good job.

Took my honorable discharge at Craig AFB, AL in June 1968 and stayed on in Selma, AL for a while working as city police detective. Then returned to my home state of Washington and used my GI Bill to attend and grad from The Evergreen State College with a BA in Public Admin. Worked many years in Human and Labor Relations and as Lobbyist in state legislature. Retired in 2002 and moved to Virginia.

Discovered the Virginia State Guard (Virginia Defense Force) and joined them in Feb 2003. Now serving as Captain in 33rd Bn, Black Horse Bde, in Winchester, VA. I am HHC Commander and on Bn staff as S-1 and S-3 because we are short of officers. We train with and support the Virginia Army National Guard, but we are used for in-state service only, can't be called to federal active duty. I'm getting pretty old for this stuff, but got in under the age limit for joining and am now on age waiver and can stay until age 75 as long as I am still able to do the job. I very much enjoy being back in uniform and working with the great young people in the National Guard. And, it keeps me off the streets.

Looking forward to meeting on-line with others of similar experiences.

Welcome abroad Animal, nice to see I'm not alone in Va anymore :)
I'm not in the guard or VDF, but I'm in Va Beach so if it ever happens I'll stand with you and defend Virginia and the United States of America

Welcome animal. I agree with you about the high quality of young troops in our NG and Reserves. They are truly unsung heros.

Back