New Marine Special Ops Unit?

do we really need more that one spec ops force that carries out the same task? its like an inter-branch arms race.

FutureDevilDog said:
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/marines/a/marspecialops.htm

The Article is a little old but its new to me. Apparently they Operate under the codename "Detachment One".

Dear Member,

I asked a US Navy officer I know about Detachment 1. He stated that the USMC was against D1 from the start. They consider it a drain of valuable NCOs that they need, etc. But it was forces on them by the fact that the Special Ops units normally in the US Military were overstretched and they needed some help till they could get their recruiting and training up. According to him if the Marines have their way D1 will be disbanded.

Jack E. Hammond

FutureDevilDog said:
As a Navy Officer are you allowed to tell me what D1 is exactly?

USMC Detachment 1 was basically a quasi-SEAL team of Marines. Not the the full blown training, but enough for reconn missions in Iraq and Afghanistan. It was meant as only a stop-gap till the USN and US Army could get more Special Ops units up and running.

Jack E. Hammond

BTW> I never stated I was a naval officer. I have not served on day (ie well actually I guess almost one day, but that is another story) in any military.

Detachment One was made up of Force and Radio Recon Marines and was seen as a Force multiplier for the NSW contingent. It's on the the chopping block because it brings nothing new to the table.

The new news is that the Mighty Mighty Commando Gods at SOCOM want the Corps' new FMTU units and some Infantry Bn's chopped to SOCOM control in prepatuity. The Corps is fighting loosing control of these assets and has told SOCOM they will assign levies of these units on a case by case basis but not as a standing force.

This has caused the Ninjas at SOCOM to opine that the Corps is hard to work with.

03USMC said:
Detachment One was made up of Force and Radio Recon Marines and was seen as a Force multiplier for the NSW contingent. It's on the the chopping block because it brings nothing new to the table.

Not so, many new things were brought to the table.

Some of the troubles are coming from us - biting our nose to spite our faces and what not. While others, go farther up the chain.

USMC Detachment 1 was basically a quasi-SEAL team of Marines. Not the the full blown training, but enough for reconn missions in Iraq and Afghanistan. It was meant as only a stop-gap till the USN and US Army could get more Special Ops units up and running.

Not exactly ...

montgriz said:
We need a complete realignment of our special forces in the Navy/Marine Corps.

With the advent of the helicopter and now the OV-22 Osprey, as well as advanced munitions, satellities, LCAC's, etc. there is no longer a need for both an amphibious reconaissance and underwater demolition unit in both the Navy and the Marine Corps.

The SEALs and Marine Force Recon should be combined, the resulting Marine SEAL Teams should be available both to SOCOM and for floats with the MEU's, and the Marine Reconaissance Batalions should be replaced by Raider Battalions hearkening back to Evans Carlson and World War II.

Other than the fact that Marine Force Recon and Naval Special Warfare Teams have and conduct different missions and utilize different equipment.

As far as reinventing Raider Bn's. Aside from the Mankin Raid the Raiders were used as Conventional Forces for most of their tenure.

This is there logo
Det_One.jpg

Makin Island Raiders

As for the Marine Raiders who got left behind, did anyone see that show that the History Channel showed on them? It was pretty good. I had the honor of being a member of the firing squad for their 21 gun salute at Arlington back in 2001 while stationed at 8th & I when they brought their bodies home, it is an amazing story, if anyone is interested, hit me up, I'll explain it.

Back