New M1 Carbine & Ammo prices

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
Man, I just got me a M1 Carbine from the CMP. I have another early period WWII cabrine but I never shoot it do to what it's worth. I ordered the CMP Carbine to have as a plinker and a fun little project gun. I went to Bass Pro Shops. They want $16.99 for a 50rd box of Remington 110Gr FMJ.

Walmart doesn't carry .30 Carbine and only one of their stores in South Florida still sell firearms , Sport's Authority stopped selling guns and ammo in South Florida a year and a half ago, and the local gun stores want $25.00 a box of the same 50rd box of Remington 110Gr FMJ.

WTF is going on here with ammo prices. I have ammo for my AR-15s and Mini-14 but I don't shoot it do to the price of ammo. I have enough ammo stored for shtf. But I cannot afford ammo to train and shoot with.

Hell, 100rd Winchester White Box of 115Gr 9mm is $16 a pop at walmart. The same box of 230gr .45 ACP is selling for $28 a pop. I remember less then a year ago when 100rds of 9mm was around $8 a pop and 100rds of .45 ACP was around $11 a pop.

I think this all has something to do with the simple idea of out pricing ammunition from the common man. I know that China and other nations buying materials used in the making of ammunition is also because of the price increase but this is getting bad. I know that it's also political. Alot of nations have surplus ammo and firearms but they don't sell them because of UN mandate.

And I thought my SKS ammo was getting more expensive because the Army was buying so much of it for the Iraqis...

What depressing news. I must learn reloading - it is no longer optional.

This is what has forced me to actually plan my range days rather than go on impulse. Buying a couple boxes of ammo here and there whenever I felt like making some noise was eating me alive. I always order bulk now.

For example, Bass Pro wants $1.25 a round for .303 Brit. Ordering bulk from some place like ammoman.com nets you a price of $.65 per round. The drawback is making sure you know what you're ordering. I didn't realize the case of 7.62x54r I ordered was lacquered which made shooting the old Mosins an adventure.

Ha, yeah. That lacquered ammo is annoying, but all you really need to keep the Mosin shooting is a hammer to slap the bolt open.

The SVT-40 is more entertaining since it doesn't bind up. Besides, I'm too much of a soft touch when it comes to the old war horses. Can't bring myself to bash them hither and yon with hammers and lumber. :D

The SVT-40 is more entertaining since it doesn't bind up. Besides, I'm too much of a soft touch when it comes to the old war horses. Can't bring myself to bash them hither and yon with hammers and lumber. :D

Go on a WWII Soviet Reenactment. You'll see Frontoviks open their bolts with tree trunks sometimes because the surplus Soviet training blanks bind up the action. Really funny stuff but also authentic. WWII period Soviet ammo did bind up the actions.

Back