New "Lost World" Of Wildlife Found.

Missileer

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11114156/

"JAKARTA, Indonesia - Describing it as the discovery of a “Lost World,” conservation groups and Indonesia on Tuesday said an expedition to one of Asia’s most isolated jungles had found several dozen new species of frogs, butterflies, flowers and birds."

Every time I feel like we've dammed the last river and paved over the last open space, oh well, it won't last long now.:bang:

Just saw this one on a news site, and I find it quite interesting myself.
There are also planned a couple of expeditions to explore the oceans this year, and I believe they will be able to find a few interesting things down there as well.. :)

Hi,

In pictures: Papua's 'lost world'

1.jpg

^
An international team of scientists says it has found dozens of new species of plants and animals during an expedition to the Foja Mountains of Papua province, Indonesia. (Image: Bruce Beehler/CI)

1.jpg

^
The team gathered the first photographic record of the Berlepsch's six-wired "lost" bird of paradise (Image: Bruce Beehler)

2.jpg

^
o.gif

One of the highlights was the discovery of a new species of smoky honeyeater - the first new bird species to be sighted on the island of New Guinea in more than 60 years. (Image: Bruce Beehler/CI)

3.jpg

^
One of the team leaders, Bruce Beehler, said the forest location, "was as close to the Garden of Eden as you're going to find on Earth". (Image: Stephen Richards)

4.jpg

^
The Foja Mountains appear to be one of the richest sites for frogs in the Asia-Pacific region. More than 20 new species of frogs were found. (Image: Stephen Richards)

5.jpg

^
The botanical experts on the team collected more than 550 plant species, including five new palms. (Image: Johannes Mogea)

6.jpg

^
Some of the creatures the scientists came into contact with were remarkably unafraid of humans. Long-beaked echidnas, primitive egg-laying mammals, were happy to be picked up. (Image: Stephen Richards)

7.jpg

^
The team repeatedly encountered an epiphytic rhododendron that grew high in the treetops. It produced large white scented flowers that fell to the ground after several days of blooming. (Image: Wayne Takeuchi)

8.jpg

^
The team says it did not have nearly enough time during its expedition to survey the area completely and intends to return in August or September this year. (Image: Stephen Richards)

1.jpg

^
The Foja Mountains are a hotspot for frogs, says the Conservation International Rapid Assessment Program expedition team (Image: Stephen Richards)

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Supposedly, the health of frogs in an area is proof of a healthy environment. I'd love to see it but I'll just be content to know it's there undisturbed.

Ditto. I'm not one of those people who go "I want my kids to see a camel or an ostrich" What the f*** I'm fine as long as they live in peace and in their own environment.

No, its just a clear illustration of what is so messed up with people today that prevents them from living in harmony with nature and each other.

bulldogg said:
No, its just a clear illustration of what is so messed up with people today that prevents them from living in harmony with nature and each other.

It's called greed and destroying everything that gets in the way of that driving force. "I want nothing but the best, first edition of all rare books, stamps, coins, Elvis photos," on and on and on. That's why ancient graves and temples are robbed, we saw it happening as we went into Iraq. I finished restoring the inlay on an antique wardrobe about three years ago and the owner wanted to use the same species of ebony and ivory strips in the banding. He got African Blackwood and Tagua Nut strips and he never knew the difference. It blended with the original better than my eye could detect.

Missileer said:
That's why ancient graves and temples are robbed, we saw it happening as we went into Iraq. I finished restoring the inlay on an antique wardrobe about three years ago and the owner wanted to use the same species of ebony and ivory strips in the banding. He got African Blackwood and Tagua Nut strips and he never knew the difference. It blended with the original better than my eye could detect.

I didn't know you restored antique furniture, Missileer.

FutureDevilDog said:

Actually, it's not because right under the article was a headline that said "worries of logging." I hope the Government stops that before the rare wood dealers start buying logging rights anywhere near the forest. These companies offer a small poor country fortunes to let them log because even one board foot of some species can cost upward to hundreds of dollars on the "antique furniture reproduction" market. Most of these woods go to the Middle East Kingdoms and Asia.

IG, I repair or restore existing antiques. Mostly inlays and and damaged veneers.

Last edited:
Back