New Korean Rifle : XK-11 (kinda futuristic)

I've seen a video of it and it's basically the OICW.

Here's a brief translation. Can't be arsed with a full one.

The XK11 is the military's next generation automatic rifle and will be issued to the military starting next year.
At the firing range, a round explodes over the head of an "enemy soldier." The round did not hit the target but the "soldier" is down.
Blah blah blah
The way it works is a laser range finder determines the range of the target. Next the grenade is fired over the head of the enemy where it explodes.
It is useful in situations where an enemy is behind cover or around a corner.
It weighs 6.1kg and has beaten both the French and American designs in becoming ready for duty.
It will be issued on a squad basis starting next year (whatever that's supposed to mean) and there is a lot of expectations for success in the export market.

What I think about the XK11
First off, it's too damned heavy. But from what I know of it, it will not replace the regular line rifle. It will supplement the squads and they will NOT scrap the K201 (basically the South Korean M203) launchers. I hope the electronics on the damned thing is very durable. And I hope I never have to carry one.
The good news is that the optics on the thing is way above and beyond what's currently being issued and will give many squads the ability to have designated marksmen whereas before such capabilities were lacking in many units.
I just hope the battery life is worth half a damn. Once a war kicks off, I'd expect at that most units won't get serious resupply for at LEAST a month except for the basics like food and ammo.
Also it fires the 5.56mm, but I guess South Korea's not ready to make a commitment to another type of ammunition and probably can't afford to change over entirely at this point. Probably will want to see what the Americans do first, see how it does in actual combat etc. before making a decision.

Last edited:
I don't understand why people keep making these OICW-like weapons. An airburst grenade launcher is great, but I think it's a bit more practical to carry as a stand-alone weapon like the American XM25, rather than putting all that weight on the rifle.

Let's just skip a whole generation and make Blastech E-11 Storm Trooper Blaster Rifles.

StormtrooperBlasterRifle_0.gif

It's light, handy, and can blow holes in walls. Also if it's good enough for the Empire it's good enough for you.

I don't understand why people keep making these OICW-like weapons. An airburst grenade launcher is great, but I think it's a bit more practical to carry as a stand-alone weapon like the American XM25, rather than putting all that weight on the rifle.

Probably a pain in the butt to switch from one weapon to another. It's not like you'll be carrying your weapon like in a first person shooter. Still seems a bit heavy... dunno. I guess we'll see how it goes come next year. I'm a bit concerned that no one ever seemed to ask the opinions of seasoned riflemen.

Back