The New Iraqi Military

Darcia

The Iraqi Military is being designed to be a purely defense military,However besides the 36,000 troops I havn't heard anything for the actual Iraq military, such as tanks and things of that nature. Does anyone know what they will actualy have or what they have now?

I wouldn't say 36,000 troops trained and in the field, most have deserted. But the commando units have been training with ours, and can hold their own, the special forces say they are excellent.

I was just reading a CNN report that said thier are 136,000 Iraqi's currently serving in uniform, however one Democrat pointed out the numbers are useless cause last year they were saying well over 200,000.

i saw Rumsfield visiting those iraqi recruits..

on TV they look at having the shiny equipments as other American troops..

It's kinda hard to tell since the DoD is blowing smoke up our ass by talking about 130,000 trained soldiers. There are obviously more than 4,000 trained, although it might be true that only 4,000 have combat experience.

in the street war in Falluja....Iraqi troops helped Americans.

most of those iraqi troops , i ve heard, were ex-Saddam's soldiers

Sexybeast said:

Yes and they died VERY hard, because they were used as the frontline troops.

Snauhi said:
Sexybeast said:

Yes and they died VERY hard, because they were used as the frontline troops.

They weren't used as front line troops.... American Marines and Soldiers would fight there way through a city block taking out most of the resistance and the Iraqis would come up from the rear to mop up what was left. Our goal is to build their military up and train them, not get them slaughtered.

In terms of small arms, the Iraqi Army is being equipped with AK-47s, RPK machine guns, RPGs, etc. Soviet-bloc weapons that they're used to and are reliable in that kind of environment. They're also cheap to aquire, making it easier on the Iraqi economy.

Armor and aircraft however, I'm not so sure about. The question is if they'll go with Russian tanks and fighters or if they'll follow the example of the Saudis and scrap them in favor of American M1 Abrams and F-15 Eagles. That's what I would do if I was the Iraqi government, especially since I'm pretty sure that the US military would supply them at low cost. The F-15s would go fast, with the F/A-22 Raptor now beginning to be phased into US Air Force active duty squadron service.

The New Military is only a self defense them and with the exception of a helicopter group or two thier are no current plans to create a new iraqi Airforce.

Setting up an Iraqi military without tanks and air power would only guarantee their failure.

As far as the numbers and desertions go, sooner or later the Iraqi people are going to have to take over defending their own country. The United States would absolutely love to hand that job back to the people of Iraq. The problem is convincing them to do it. Anybody got any brilliant ideas there??

Well after looking over some reports I have saw the Iraqi's had a nicer military when Saddam was in power than they do now.

Back