The New Iraqi Military

Darcia said:
Actualy,We apperently scrapped most of it.

It's called culling. Out with the old, in with the new. Whatever they choose to do, at least now it's their choice.

Guess they're getting a mixed bag of equipment. Not bad combinations either. Personally, though, I still think that the US should supply them with the bulk of their hardware. After all, we were the ones that destroyed what they had.

We may send them some things,however probably there new military will be like there old military being composed of old Russian units from the USSR days.

Yeah I thought it was odd they were being equipted with AK-47's I thought we would at least give them some guns that the last administration of Iraq hadn't used.

AK-47's are good weapons, they dont need any better

I tend to agree. All of them are familiar with it. And it is a good rifle, that fits an army that dose not maintain its weapons often.

yeah I agree it is a good weapon I was still just...I guess suprised to find out thats was what they were being equiped with.

The only AKs that are good are the '47s with stocks...the '47s without stocks are pretty much useless as they're impossible to aim well, the '74s use weak ammo (5.45mm), and the AKS-74U is a '74 with a chopped off barrel and stock-pretty much useless as well for frontline work.

Most of the AK-47s I've seen in photos are the newer composite-stock versions-very nice weapons.

SHERMAN said:
Id say that is your opinion.

Yes having fired all of the above weapons, I would consider my opinion rather well informed.

SHERMAN said:
Not much diffrent than 5.56....

5.56 has been known to have stopping power problems as well. We're not comparing between the AK and the '16. I'm pretty sure that Russia isn't reverting to 7.62mm on their AKs just for the hell of it.

SHERMAN said:
Not if your front line is a city street...

Even if your front line is a city street. All of the portability in the world won't save you if you can't make a 100 yard shot against an enemy with an RPG-7.

"Even if your front line is a city street. All of the portability in the world won't save you if you can't make a 100 yard shot against an enemy with an RPG-7."

I'd say that 100 yard shot is up to the person behind the stock.

IAmFighter said:
Armor and aircraft however, I'm not so sure about. The question is if they'll go with Russian tanks and fighters or if they'll follow the example of the Saudis and scrap them in favor of American M1 Abrams and F-15 Eagles. That's what I would do if I was the Iraqi government, especially since I'm pretty sure that the US military would supply them at low cost. The F-15s would go fast, with the F/A-22 Raptor now beginning to be phased into US Air Force active duty squadron service.

We (USA) are selling M1's abroad? I thought that was still restricted technology?

CavScout said:
We (USA) are selling M1's abroad? I thought that was still restricted technology?

Yep. Saudi Arabia has at least five brigades equipped with M1A1s, and I think the UAE, Qatar, and maybe Kuwait has Abrams tanks as well.

Back