The New Iraqi Military - Page 2

--

February 25th, 2005  
Sexybeast

in the street war in Falluja....Iraqi troops helped Americans.

most of those iraqi troops , i ve heard, were ex-Saddam's soldiers
February 25th, 2005  
Snauhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexybeast

Yes and they died VERY hard, because they were used as the frontline troops.
February 25th, 2005  
Big_Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snauhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexybeast

Yes and they died VERY hard, because they were used as the frontline troops.
They weren't used as front line troops.... American Marines and Soldiers would fight there way through a city block taking out most of the resistance and the Iraqis would come up from the rear to mop up what was left. Our goal is to build their military up and train them, not get them slaughtered.
--
February 25th, 2005  
SHERMAN

yes, but since this is the hardware forum, maybe we should go back on topic.
February 25th, 2005  
IAmFighter

In terms of small arms, the Iraqi Army is being equipped with AK-47s, RPK machine guns, RPGs, etc. Soviet-bloc weapons that they're used to and are reliable in that kind of environment. They're also cheap to aquire, making it easier on the Iraqi economy.

Armor and aircraft however, I'm not so sure about. The question is if they'll go with Russian tanks and fighters or if they'll follow the example of the Saudis and scrap them in favor of American M1 Abrams and F-15 Eagles. That's what I would do if I was the Iraqi government, especially since I'm pretty sure that the US military would supply them at low cost. The F-15s would go fast, with the F/A-22 Raptor now beginning to be phased into US Air Force active duty squadron service.
February 25th, 2005  
Darcia

The New Military is only a self defense them and with the exception of a helicopter group or two thier are no current plans to create a new iraqi Airforce.
February 25th, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Setting up an Iraqi military without tanks and air power would only guarantee their failure.

As far as the numbers and desertions go, sooner or later the Iraqi people are going to have to take over defending their own country. The United States would absolutely love to hand that job back to the people of Iraq. The problem is convincing them to do it. Anybody got any brilliant ideas there??
February 28th, 2005  
Darcia

Well after looking over some reports I have saw the Iraqi's had a nicer military when Saddam was in power than they do now.
March 1st, 2005  
Missileer

We killed it.
March 5th, 2005  
Darcia

Actualy,We apperently scrapped most of it.