New Iraqi government buys Chinese arms - Page 2

--

June 23rd, 2005  
bushpig1998

This wouldn't by any chance have something to do with Bush and the Cinese squeezing each other's you know whats?
I think the Chinese got the deal because of some other deal that happened between the US and China behind the scenes. Still, $100 for an AK is not that bad. If it has a shot out barrel, then it's a different matter.

P.S. What America needs is a super reliable, super cheap and easy to manufacture weapon in 5.56 NAto calibre that they can sell or give to countries like Iraq and Afghanistan - much like they armed the South Vietnamese during the 60's and 70's, except we don't give them M16's anymore, cause it's so bloody expensive!!!
June 23rd, 2005  
CSmaster

the total deal is something like 40million

including weapons and body armors
June 23rd, 2005  
Chocobo_Blitzer

We buy everything else from them, why not guns!

ugh....
--
June 23rd, 2005  
SHERMAN

Quote:
P.S. What America needs is a super reliable, super cheap and easy to manufacture weapon in 5.56 NAto calibre that they can sell or give to countries like Iraq and Afghanistan - much like they armed the South Vietnamese during the 60's and 70's, except we don't give them M16's anymore, cause it's so bloody expensive!!!
Galil would fit that role nicely...
June 23rd, 2005  
bushpig1998

It would, but isn't it a rather complicated and expensive weapon to build? I understand it is based, in part at least, on the AK47, but wouldn't an AK chambered in 5.56 make more sense?
June 28th, 2005  
MarineGtoACommo

Buting in lots for 100 per peice is expensive. All of the Iraqis that I spoke to frowned upon the Chinese version AK-47 and would rather have had any of the Eastern European versions. Price wise, you could buy the Chinese off the street for 100 bucks compared to 125 or 150 for a Czeck model. All were easily available if you knew where to get them. I bought mainly EU models

Regarding 5.56 versus 7.65 ammo, Iraq still manufactures its own 7.65 and is already overloaded with existing 7.65 arms so there is little incentive to switch. You have the option of which brand when you walk into a gun shop.

Anyway, the Chinese have been there dumping products on all the ministries. Heck, they know how to do business!
June 28th, 2005  
SHERMAN

You mean 7.62, right?

Quote:
It would, but isn't it a rather complicated and expensive weapon to build? I understand it is based, in part at least, on the AK47, but wouldn't an AK chambered in 5.56 make more sense?
No, its a very mechanically simple weapon heavily based on the AK47, chambred to the 5.56 NATO standart rounds used by the M-16. It is similar in most things to the AK47, only it is probably more accurate. Ive never fired it though, so I dont know.
July 9th, 2005  
WARmachine88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineGtoACommo
Buting in lots for 100 per peice is expensive. All of the Iraqis that I spoke to frowned upon the Chinese version AK-47 and would rather have had any of the Eastern European versions. Price wise, you could buy the Chinese off the street for 100 bucks compared to 125 or 150 for a Czeck model. All were easily available if you knew where to get them. I bought mainly EU models

Regarding 5.56 versus 7.65 ammo, Iraq still manufactures its own 7.65 and is already overloaded with existing 7.65 arms so there is little incentive to switch. You have the option of which brand when you walk into a gun shop.

Anyway, the Chinese have been there dumping products on all the ministries. Heck, they know how to do business!
na....Chinese just want the money and hell they care if you gonna get yourself killed by using their weapons
July 9th, 2005  
Mohmar Deathstrike

Do you know of any weapons exporter who does care who kills who with their weapons?

In Germany, there are often protests against weapons exportation because some of them end up in the hands of fairly repressive regimes, or are used to repress ethnic minorities or some such.

The G3 assault rifle has been called a WMD by some because it was involved in many wars in the third world.
July 9th, 2005  
SHERMAN

Yeah, Im with Deathstrike on this.

If you dont sell them rifles, someone else will. And one rifle isent all that diffrent from the otehr, so it dosent really matter what they get. Its not a nuclear weapon.