New idea for Army Sleeping Bag

Padre

Milforum Chaplain
INTRODUCING THE "SELK-BAG"

http://www.thecoolhunter.net/lifestyle/SELKBAG

I came accross this new Japanese sleeping bag. It has legs and arms. I think the army should adopt it into its gear - am I nuts or am I on a good thing?

I'm seriously thinking of promoting it up the COC (Australian Army)

I like it because if the Missourians attack at night while you're asleep in your bag under your hutchie - you can get up and run or use your F88 without having to jump out of your bag.

What do forum members thinkyou think?

Nice find, Padre. I bet it could be developed as a tactical cover-all in extreme cold weather environments, although I don't see it as being practical in anything but ECW (as a cover-all), but I bet it would be a great in a pinch where seconds mean life or death (i.e. indirect fire, etc.).

Also, it would be scary as hell to be traversing some mountainous terrain and then ambushed by a dozen mini Stay-Puft marshmellow men, so the PSYOP factor would be a consideration too :)

It looks promising. I actually wouldn't mind having one of those they look rather serviceable. But one minor argument, your limbs are not next to each other as they would be in a sleeping bag. Meaning that you'll not be as warm in a cold weather environment, but I guess you really wouldn't want to use those were I grew up. :roll:

I know what you mean Percival; Alaska can be quite cruel hehe. It would be cool if the bag was convertable to and from the independant sleeves, like a zipper under the armpits to the hand holes, which would take some work getting into place, but some sort of quick release straps could undo it and you're ready to rock the socks off of an unfortunate enemy.

The applications in long range recon are there too, i.e. observing an enemy outpost for hours on end wihtout moving, in the cold. You would need arms free movement for binocs/weaps/lasing, but at the same time you would be nice and toasty. I'm sure them high speed folk have remedies for this already, and in that situation it's better not to be too comfortable, since cold=tired and tired=sleep...bad juju.

It does seem very interesting, I wouldn't be surprised to see this in use after a couple of years.

Percival said:
It looks promising. I actually wouldn't mind having one of those they look rather serviceable. But one minor argument, your limbs are not next to each other as they would be in a sleeping bag. Meaning that you'll not be as warm in a cold weather environment, but I guess you really wouldn't want to use those were I grew up. :roll:

I think the military might write the specifications to include the ability to pull your arms in. They would probably spec in a poop tube and a pee hole!

Senior Chief said:
I think the military might write the specifications to include the ability to pull your arms in. They would probably spec in a poop tube and a pee hole!

The Japanese are way ahead of us Chief, the SELK-BAG comes with a pee hole (but not a poop tube - probably not recommended)

Back