New Hunting Rifle

It matters what you want too hunt, for deer, hog, and smaller get the .30 its gonna kill the animal just the same as the 7mm. Also which ammo is cheaper. If your gonna hunt elk or moose, get the 7 mag. :cowb:

The 300 mag has more shock value but not the range of the 7mm. Like ACTaFOOL wrote, depends on what your main game animal is. If you reload, the 300 mag can take on just about anything. I reloaded for the .308 Winchester Ruger MKII rifle I had and I could hunt anything from coyotes to moose. I liked the .308 as you could get a 70 grain FMJ bullet for the varmits and then hop up to a 240 grain Soft Nose bullet for bigger game.

I am used to the .308 (its just a .300 bullet anyway, the .008 is the diameter of the lower part of the rifling), but looking for an upgrade. I have shot both in the standard long cartridge and hunt everything from white tail to elk. I like the 7mm trajectory, but like the shock of the .300MAG, esspecially with the full lead bullet for white tail, it is a pain to track. My hunting partner has a 300 weatherby and is using ballistic tips which we have found work great for whitetail, they frag tremendously on impact, make a mess on the inside, but is a little safer when we have many people in the field since it frags even when impacting a twig. Was looking at the WSM for something different.

Yes the .308 is pretty common but I liked it for the many different reloading combos. Back to topic, the 300 I think would be better for what you hunt. It still has great trajectory and for elk, it has the wallop. I also have a hunting buddy that uses the ballistic tips for whitetail in the 300 WSM and he loves them. Puts em down in a durned big hurry too. Plus, the 300WSM has more heft to it so it is better in the brush. Just all my preference but there are the reasons I would pick the 300WSM over the 7mm WSM.

Back