New Humvee

Wow i actually like that! Environmentally friendly too:D
What is that thing that sticks out way up high is that the 50 cal?

They need the 50 caliber machine gun on top if it isn't lol.

they were showing it on the History Channel the other day. it runs pretty quiet when it's on batteries. i was real surprised about that much. but when running over branches and knocking bushes over i don't think that matters much.

Keeping engines quiet can be a life saver if it's on a recon run.
Either way it's nice to have the option.
I really like how it's easy to transport as well. That is key. It's no good if you got a weapon you can't deploy in time.

I just started looking at the specs of the Shadow and realised it uses a 2.5L 4V inline 4. Compared to the 6.2L V8 of the HMMWV, both of the turbo diesel. The only reason I bring it up is the towing capability. It doesn't seem like the Shadow is up to 7,000+lbs towing capability of the HMMWV. I figured if it's going to replace the HMMWV then that probably should be an issue.

Doesn't the Humvee sometimes tow the M119 around? I'm not sure how often that occurs but I've seen it a couple of times during convoys.

well right, but there isn't that much done to the engine between models. i know the M1097 has increased the towing capacity over the older models. but the point was if you are developing a utility vehicle, like the HMMWV, you need it to do everything. just looking at the different variations of the current HMMWV proves that. all i was saying was if the Shadow is to replace the HMMWV, i think it should be able to take on the same jobs as the HMMWV. if that job could include heavy duty towing, then you might need a bigger engine. i'm seeing this as more of a recon vehicle or SF type vehicle than a utility vehicle like the HMMWV. i don't see it as a replacement at all.

DId you read the articles, this is the first version...and a recon vehicle...there are more variations to come...

the First Humvee's came out in 1983...the prime mover came out about 5 years later.
It's the same development plan...come out with the base recon model, and adapt from there.

egoz said:
well right, but there isn't that much done to the engine between models. i know the M1097 has increased the towing capacity over the older models. but the point was if you are developing a utility vehicle, like the HMMWV, you need it to do everything. just looking at the different variations of the current HMMWV proves that. all i was saying was if the Shadow is to replace the HMMWV, i think it should be able to take on the same jobs as the HMMWV. if that job could include heavy duty towing, then you might need a bigger engine. i'm seeing this as more of a recon vehicle or SF type vehicle than a utility vehicle like the HMMWV. i don't see it as a replacement at all.

I wasn't saying this was the end all be all version for this vehicle. But if you are running a gas electric hybrid engine it's going to be limited in the amount of power it can produce. At least until the technology progresses and we develop a stronger engine. But matching the torque of a turbo diesel V8 is going to be tough using any electric engine combination.

The electric engines genreate more tourqe than the v8 diesel. In fact one of the larger problems with heavy duty electic engines is that anything but a military driveshaft is going to get pretty messed up.

egoz said:
I wasn't saying this was the end all be all version for this vehicle. But if you are running a gas electric hybrid engine it's going to be limited in the amount of power it can produce. At least until the technology progresses and we develop a stronger engine. But matching the torque of a turbo diesel V8 is going to be tough using any electric engine combination.

Back