a New HMNZS Wellington Launched

Infern0

Banned
336609.jpg

Wellington takes to the seas tomorrow - in the form of an 85 metre-long patrol vessel being launched by the Royal New Zealand Navy.
The Wellington is the third ship to be built as part of Project Protect, the government's $500 million upgrade of the Defence Force.
Chief Justice Dame Sian Elias will launch the vessel in Williamstown, Melbourne on what Defence Minister Phil Goff called a "happy day for New Zealand".
The Wellington will join sister ship Otago in patrolling the country's Economic Exclusion Zone, with a focus on border patrol, counter-terrorism missions and enhancing New Zealand?s presence in the Pacific.
The ship has a core crew of 35, but is equipped to carry 30 extra troops as well as flight and customs personnel.
The offshore patrol vessels are designed for flexibility. At three-quarters the size of an ANZAC frigate, the Wellington and Otago boast a 6000-mile range, are helicopter capable and ice strengthened.
The Wellington will remain based at Melbourne until it is officially commissioned in its name-sake city next year.

336609.jpg

Wellington takes to the seas tomorrow - in the form of an 85 metre-long patrol vessel being launched by the Royal New Zealand Navy.
The Wellington is the third ship to be built as part of Project Protect, the government's $500 million upgrade of the Defence Force.
Chief Justice Dame Sian Elias will launch the vessel in Williamstown, Melbourne on what Defence Minister Phil Goff called a "happy day for New Zealand".
The Wellington will join sister ship Otago in patrolling the country's Economic Exclusion Zone, with a focus on border patrol, counter-terrorism missions and enhancing New Zealand?s presence in the Pacific.
The ship has a core crew of 35, but is equipped to carry 30 extra troops as well as flight and customs personnel.
The offshore patrol vessels are designed for flexibility. At three-quarters the size of an ANZAC frigate, the Wellington and Otago boast a 6000-mile range, are helicopter capable and ice strengthened.
The Wellington will remain based at Melbourne until it is officially commissioned in its name-sake city next year.

The Navy is doing pretty well out of defence spending these days and while I am not sure I like our priorities in terms of the defence budget (I would much sooner see emphasis placed on the air force, in particular the return of a combat wing) it is good to finally see some new equipment getting introduced.

The Navy is doing pretty well out of defence spending these days and while I am not sure I like our priorities in terms of the defence budget (I would much sooner see emphasis placed on the air force, in particular the return of a combat wing) it is good to finally see some new equipment getting introduced.

the combat air wing is problematic, really i think taht there are more pressing items to buy....they navy was overdue a major spend by about 20 year i reckon.

and though i think it would've been perfect if we were able to secure that squadron of f-16's that were on offer.....what options do we have now?

realistically...the air force needs a c-130 upgrade/replacement

the combat air wing is problematic, really i think taht there are more pressing items to buy....they navy was overdue a major spend by about 20 year i reckon.

and though i think it would've been perfect if we were able to secure that squadron of f-16's that were on offer.....what options do we have now?

realistically...the air force needs a c-130 upgrade/replacement

In a lot of cases I agree with you however I think peoples position on this argument depends on your definition of the role of the NZDF.

A lot of people see its role as helping out throughout the world with things like disaster relief etc. to me this little more than a civil defence role I personally think their role to be primarily the defence of New Zealand and as such believe that the only way we can do that is with a strong capable air force.

As I said earlier I think its great they are spending money on the military god know the army desperately needs some upgrading but I believe we have as you say more pressing needs in terms of defence.

As far as what options we have left, it appears we have none as National have now reversed their policy of returning a fighter group.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4178929a11.html

Short of leasing bases to other nations (Singapore has been mentioned) I don't see combat aircraft operating out of New Zealand anytime soon.

Last edited:
Back