The new German Infantry Fighting Vehicle Puma

systemlord

The new Infantry Fighting Vehicle Puma
An investment in security

bild_titel.jpg

A new chapter in the history of the German army industry was opened with the decision in favour of the new Bundeswehr IFV. With the Puma the Army receives a top-notch product made by the German army technology industry, which through this comprehensive new development demonstrates again its top position internationally in important competence areas.

Read more HERE!

Having ridden in several Marders, I know there was a lot of room for improvement. It looks like the remote targeting tech is a vast improvement if it works. It seems that 40 mph is still a little slow by today's standard, but I'm sure the governors would be the first thing to go in wartime. Looks like a nice improvement.

Warrior Tracked Armoured Vehicle

FV 510 Warrior
warrior6s.jpg

General characteristics
Length 6.3 m
Width 3.03 m
Height 2.8 m
Weight 24 t
Suspension torsion bar
Speed 75 km/h road
? km/h off-road
Range 600 km
Primary armament 30 mm RARDEN cannon, Light Anti-armour Weapon (LAW)
Secondary armament coaxial 7.62 mm chain gun
7.62 mm machine gun
Maximum armour ? mm
Power plant Perkins V-8 Condor
550 hp, (410 kW)
Crew 3 (commander, gunner, driver) + 7 troops

The Warrior tracked vehicle family, are a series of British armoured vehicles developed by Alvis Vickers Ltd to replace the older FV432 series of armoured vehicles.

Description
Warrior Section Vehicles are able to carry and support 7 fully equipped soldiers together with supplies and weapons for a 48 hour battlefield day in NBC conditions. The protection against small arms, missiles and anti-tank mines was proven during the UN operations in Bosnia. Additional (applique) armour can be fitted. Warrior is driven by a Perkins Rolls-Royce V8 Condor engine through an automatic gearbox. It is capable of a road speed of 75kmh. The fully rotating turret carries an M242 chain gun alongside the 30 mm cannon. There is also an M240 7.62 mm machine gun. TOW missile launchers are mounted on each side of the turret. These are effective out to 3,750 m. A total of 6 missles are carried. Thermal imaging systems are to added to upgrade the night fighting capability.

Combat history
Operation Desert Storm
Operation Iraqi Freedom and on
United Nations duties in Bosnia.

Production
Warrior - 789 (1987 - 1995)
Desert Warrior -254.

Operators
UK - British Army
Kuwait - Land Forces

Variants

FV510 Infantry Section Vehicle

FV515 Battery Command
artillery command vehicle

FV 514 Artillery Observation Post vehicle

FV511 Infantry Command vehicle

FV512 Recovery vehicle
operated by REME

FV513 Repair vehicle
operated by REME

Anti-Tank Guided Weapon Carrier

Reconnaissance Vehicle
Additional armoured protection against conventional and chemical attack. Armour shielding covers the front, sides and the suspension of the vehicle. The Warrior Reconnaissance vehicle is normally operated by a crew of three, the driver, commander and the gunner and can carry a reconnaissance officer and additional surveillance equipment.

Desert Warrior
Warrior vehicles adapted for operations in hostile desert conditions.

Warrior 2000
A new version of developed for the Swiss Army.

All-welded aluminium hull,
Increased armour
digital fire control system,
more powerful engine
Delco or Land Systems Hagglunds E30 turret with ATK Bushmaster II Mk 44 30mm cannon.

Warrior Upgrade programme
The British Army has plans to upgrade its Warriors to extend their service life to 2025. The upgrade includes

addition of a night fighting capability
Bowman Communications System
New turret with a 40mm Case Telescoped Weapon System (CTWS) cannon.
The turret has been developed by CTA International, a joint venture formed by BAE Systems and Giat Industries. A contract was awarded in June 2004 for the delivery of one Warrior vehicle fitted with the turret by December 2006, for the British Army's Manned Turret Integration Programme (MTIP). 350 vehicles are to be fitted with BGTI by 2007. 70 have been completed.

Trivia

Okay, you didn't get the joke. Red VS Blue is a internet cartoon that is based and made on the Xbox Halo video game.

When the character "Sarge" shows the Warthhog in a episode. It's the jeep type truck that you use in the game. Sarge calls it a Warthog, and another character. Griff, calls it a Puma. Sarge tills him to shut up and stop making up mythical anaimals. You have to watch it. It's one funny show.

And yes, I did love the A-10 Warthhog when I was in Afghanistan. But I call it the Devil's Cross. I've been calling them that since high school when I read "Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising". The Soviet characters call the A-10 that because it does look like a Cross but it rains death. So it's the Devil's Cross.

Never saw an A-10 in battle, but they were damn impressive in Graf. I'll never forget the echoing brrrrrrrrp of the nose gun, nor the half-klik-square of dust it raised below. Can't imagine the hell those things reigned down on live targets.

5.56X45mm said:
Okay, you didn't get the joke. Red VS Blue is a internet cartoon that is based and made on the Xbox Halo video game.

When the character "Sarge" shows the Warthhog in a episode. It's the jeep type truck that you use in the game. Sarge calls it a Warthog, and another character. Griff, calls it a Puma. Sarge tills him to shut up and stop making up mythical anaimals. You have to watch it. It's one funny show.

And yes, I did love the A-10 Warthhog when I was in Afghanistan. But I call it the Devil's Cross. I've been calling them that since high school when I read "Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising". The Soviet characters call the A-10 that because it does look like a Cross but it rains death. So it's the Devil's Cross.

http://bungie.com/images/games/halo/gallery/renders/warthog/warthog_solid.mov

Bradley's nice, but I have a soft spot for the M113. Especially the ACAV version.

While I called a FIST-V M981 home for 2 years in Germany in the '80's, we always thought they were dogs compared to the Bradley's. My team was the first one to mark copperheads with a G/VLLD in the European theater. We were kind of the dog and pony squadron for VIP's, or at least it seemed like it to us. Anyhoo, we would have much rather had the FIST-V built on the Bradley chasis than the 113. Just too tough keeping up with the Cav.

Sea_Cadet said:
Not to play devil's advocate here, but the external appearance in the picture to me looks like a stryker.

????

The Stryker is an eight-wheeled armored vehicle (which started life as a Swiss-designed Piranha). The only similarity between a Puma and a Stryker is that it is armored and has a sloped front (but then all modern APC's/IFV's have a sloped front).

Personally I'd pick a CV9035 any day. The CV90 family of tracked armored vehicles is probably the best in the world today.

1h9705.jpg

Wheeled armored troop carriers like the Stryker/Piranha, Sisu and others are actually nothing more than lightly armored buses, not the armored fighting vehicles that most people seem to think that they are.

Shadowalker said:
Sea_Cadet said:
Not to play devil's advocate here, but the external appearance in the picture to me looks like a stryker.

Um the Puma is a tracked IFV and the stryker is an 8 wheel APC, i honestly cannot see how you can say they look the same

More info on the Puma:
http://www.army-technology.com/projects/puma_tracked/

and the stryker to compare looks:
http://www.army-technology.com/projects/stryker/

No the Stryker is called an IFV, not an APC. And it's a copy of the Marine LAV. Whilst I agree with ExTanker, they an nothing more than an armored bus fulfilling the roll of "battlefield taxi".

Cadet Seaman said:
Shadowalker said:
Sea_Cadet said:

Um the Puma is a tracked IFV and the stryker is an 8 wheel APC, i honestly cannot see how you can say they look the same

More info on the Puma:

No the Stryker is called an IFV, not an APC. And it's a copy of the Marine LAV. Whilst I agree with ExTanker, they an nothing more than an armored bus fulfilling the roll of "battlefield taxi".

Just reading the info again and the stryker is an ICV so guess were both wrong, i ws under the impression the stryker was a copy of the canadian LAV III which is a copy of the swiss piranha

LeEnfield said:
Warrior Tracked Armoured Vehicle

Description
Warrior Section Vehicles are able to carry and support 7 fully equipped soldiers together with supplies and weapons for a 48 hour battlefield day in NBC conditions. The protection against small arms, missiles and anti-tank mines was proven during the UN operations in Bosnia. Additional (applique) armour can be fitted. Warrior is driven by a Perkins Rolls-Royce V8 Condor engine through an automatic gearbox. It is capable of a road speed of 75kmh. The fully rotating turret carries an M242 chain gun alongside the 30 mm cannon. There is also an M240 7.62 mm machine gun. TOW missile launchers are mounted on each side of the turret. These are effective out to 3,750 m. A total of 6 missles are carried. Thermal imaging systems are to added to upgrade the night fighting capability.

Trivia

If i may, just like to correct something there. Not sure where you got the info from. The M240 7.62mm machine gun, thats not a part of the warriors armament, not the British ones anyway. And neither are the TOW missiles. The TOWs are only fitted to desert warriors, which only the Kuwaitis have. The British Warrior only has 30mm RARDEN and 7.62mm chain gun.

And i've never heard of the Warrior being used in the recce role either, thats left to CVR (t).

Shadowalker said:
Cadet Seaman said:
Shadowalker said:
Sea_Cadet said:

More info on the Puma:

Just reading the info again and the stryker is an ICV so guess were both wrong, i ws under the impression the stryker was a copy of the canadian LAV III which is a copy of the swiss piranha

If you dig far back enough, you'll see that GM Canada made a Piranha prototype for the U.S. Army in 78', it mounted a AAI turret with a Ares 75mm.

But the U.S. was making LAV's way before the Piranha was on the scene. The V-100, V-200, V-150 Commando Series and the Dragoon 300 followed the same path as the current IFV's, ICV's, and wheeled APC's.

ExTanker said:
Sea_Cadet said:

????

The Stryker is an eight-wheeled armored vehicle (which started life as a Swiss-designed Piranha). The only similarity between a Puma and a Stryker is that it is armored and has a sloped front (but then all modern APC's/IFV's have a sloped front).

Personally I'd pick a CV9035 any day. The CV90 family of tracked armored vehicles is probably the best in the world today.

1h9705.jpg

Wheeled armored troop carriers like the Stryker/Piranha, Sisu and others are actually nothing more than lightly armored buses, not the armored fighting vehicles that most people seem to think that they are.

Man was I out to lunch on that one, Yeah I totally see the difference.

warhappy100 said:
Sweet ride and it has better gun then the M2/3 and be fuel efficent like
the king of battle tanks. Leo2A6

How do you find the Leo 2A6 king of battle tanks? You can't basis that on on it being fuel efficent.

While the M2 carries the Bushmaster 25mm Chaingun, it was made in 1979. How do we know the gun is better?

Does the Puma have AT capibilities?

Back