A new Falklands war?

EagleHammer

I have read that Argentina haven't given up thier claim to the Falklands (Maldivas), and that they are quite passionate about it. What do you guys think would happen if they invade again.

The primary question is can they touch the aircraft carrier?

I have read that Argentina haven't given up thier claim to the Falklands (Maldivas), and that they are quite passionate about it. What do you guys think would happen if they invade again.

The primary question is can they touch the aircraft carrier?

Personally I don't think the Argentines will try another invasion of the Falklands, they may however attempt to engage in serious talks with the British government.

I believe the Argentines are on a loser with this one, as the Falkland Islanders have stated emphatically that they wish to remain part of Britain.

Today there is more then just a handful of Royal Marines stationed there as there was in 1981, so any attack by Argentina is not going to be a walkover.

Equipped

I think Argentina is ill equipped do to budget and military cuts to even think of such a idea. There Army, Navy and Air Force have all been scaled down to very low levels and would be hard press to project outward and sort of military power.

even if they can invade and take over, they willhave to defend it against another british expidition force. they dont have support from the population and its mostly open ground not urban. its the perfect place for a modern military to crush a 3rd rate opponent with precision weapns and highly manuverable forces. bad idea for argentine.

The population on the Island isn't that big and if it drags out they can replace them with their own.

I know their not very modern, but with a few air-to-ship missiles couldn't they make the recapture to expensive to try?

dident work last time, no reason it will work this time. The biggest problem for the brits last time was not the enemy, it was their command and control. That has probably improved alot since. The brits also have more precision weapons than last time(when they were litteraly getting them straight from the US. I just cant see this turning well for Argentine.

Hi,
I am from Chile and by the way the name they use in Spanish is Malvinas and not "Maldivas" as someone said :)
My perception is that the Argentines will not try a military adventre like that again. After 1982 the population ended hating all that is related to the military (not for the Falklands' campaing, but for what the Junta did in the country), thus the cuts. And then they had the recession some years ago. The still have the French Mirages, which have had minor upgrades in Israel to the Dagger standard and the A-4R. There is no way they could triumph with such planes against the guarding Tornadoes in the island (correct me if I am wrong).
You will hear, though, some noise about the question of the Falklands, especially for the anniversaries (April 2, June 14) the presidents usually give speech repeating the same story, that the islands belong to Argentina and that they will continue with the claims and bla bla bla.
But here it's pretty clear now that there is nothing that can be done, except improve the relations and try to gain some advatages so as to travel there for example (now only the argentines who have relatives in the cemetery can go and still need a passport).
Oh, and as a side note, they will always say we Chileans betrayed them for helping the British 8)

You will hear, though, some noise about the question of the Falklands, especially for the anniversaries (April 2, June 14) the presidents usually give speech repeating the same story, that the islands belong to Argentina and that they will continue with the claims and bla bla bla.

But here it's pretty clear now that there is nothing that can be done, except improve the relations and try to gain some advatages so as to travel there for example (now only the argentines who have relatives in the cemetery can go and still need a passport).
Oh, and as a side note, they will always say we Chileans betrayed them for helping the British 8)

I heard that the Argentines were a bit annoyed with Chile lol.

Argentina can shout and scream as much as they like, Britain in my opinion is not going to hand over the Falklands, same as Britain wont hand over Gibraltar to Spain. But who knows what will happen in the future as more and more military cuts bite.

that largest problem for argentine is not the military issue. the problem is that the islanders want to stay british. there is no moral justification for argentine to get the Falklands back.

I heard that the Argentines were a bit annoyed with Chile lol.

Quite annoyed ;-) but we supported Britain because we also had a conflict over some islands with Argentina, in fact in 1978 they were about to invade us, fortunately the Pope made an intervention and stopped the war. So, there was no way we were going to support their adventure in '82.

And Sherman is right, the population of the Falklands did not want to become argentine at that time and do not want it now either, I guess never will...

I would imagine that another try for Falkland by Argentine would end like it would, if we'd try to take Karelia back from the Russians...

Back