New F-15SE

rock45

Boeing doesn't want to lose their share of the market it seems. I wonder what the RCS is compared to a C or E model Eagle?

Boeing Unveils New International F-15 Configuration -- the F-15SE
Click image to view Photo Release.
These images are available for editorial use by news media on: boeingmedia.com

ST. LOUIS, March 17, 2009 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] today in St. Louis unveiled the F-15 Silent Eagle (F-15SE), a new F-15 configuration designed to meet the future needs of international customers.
"The F-15 Silent Eagle is designed to meet our international customers' anticipated need for cost-effective stealth technologies, as well as for large and diverse weapons payloads," said Mark Bass, F-15 Program vice president for Boeing. "The innovative Silent Eagle is a balanced, affordable approach designed to meet future survivability needs."
Improvements in stealth include coatings and treatments on the aircraft. With the added advantage of redesigned conformal fuel tanks (CFTs) that allow for internal weapons carriage, the Silent Eagle becomes a very attractive fighter for Boeing's international customers.
Depending on the specific mission, the customer can use the CFTs that are designed for internal carriage or change back to the traditional CFTs for optimum fuel capacity and external weapons carriage. The Silent Eagle will be able to internally carry air-to-air missiles such as the AIM-9 and AIM-120 and air-to-ground weapons such as the Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) and Small Diameter Bomb (SDB). The standard weapons load used on current versions of the F-15 is available with the traditional CFTs installed.
The aircraft's canted vertical tails improve aerodynamic efficiency, provide lift, and reduce airframe weight. Another aerodynamic improvement is the Digital Flight Control System, which improves the aircraft's reliability and reduces airframe weight.
Survivability improvements include a BAES Digital Electronic Warfare System (DEWS) working in concert with the Raytheon Advanced Electronic Scanning Array (AESA) radar.
Boeing has completed a conceptual prototype of the CFT internal-carriage concept, and plans to flight-test a prototype by the first quarter of 2010, including a live missile launch.
The design, development, and test of this internal carriage system are available as a collaborative project with an international aerospace partner.

Link
http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2009/q1/090317a_nr.html

for customers like israel who arnt facing top of the line aircraft it might be good. although with the s-300 and possibly 400 comming to an arab country near you, who knows...

I wouldn´t call Iran an arab country really..

The new F-15SE needs more than a slick of paint to convince buyers in todays financial climate I fear.

mission readiness level

Most new fighters go though growing pains the F-22 is no different might even be a little harder dealing with a new type (F-22 Stealth) then in past times. A lot of the basics between current fighters and fighters types in the past has changed I'm sure maintenance needs to catch up. Look at the big picture with over ninety Wings and hundreds of squadrons in the USAF has then think about how many active squadrons of F-22's we have. The program will get better and maybe grow a little but overall it's only makes up a small percentage of the USAF assets, personnel wise. If the USAF had close to the number of F-15 squadrons of that of the F-22 is would be very different by now.
icon14.gif

I wouldn´t call Iran an arab country really..

I was thinking Syria in that post, but yeah Iran is getting them too.

They say the problem is in the stealth... I wonder if the F-15SE will have the same problems.

I doubt it, I think the problems are the same as the ones they had with
the B-2 Spirit. Rock45 correct me if im wrong.

sandy
nice choice for old eagle users.
I agree and in the rare air to air combat it puts the fangs back on the Eagle in theory if should get back first shot capabilities.

I doubt it, I think the problems are the same as the ones they had with
the B-2 Spirit. Rock45 correct me if I'm wrong.
I think the problems will be worked out as more resources are thrown at it and over time. So much is not released it's difficult to get a handle on it. In war time most of the F-22s would be more then ready. Think about some crappy Iranian thrown together Mig-29A radar isn't going to see a F-22 (15) miles away even if a stealth covering had a little nick on it.

Good radar's see fighter size targets on good days 90 to 160 miles away, and that's semi modern fighters with big radar's not mid or small size fighters. 75% of all the worlds fighters would never see this nick and only know there in deep sh_t when their radar warning goes off, and then its reach for the handle time.

In this other forum real F-16 pilots say it's just brutal the way they get beat nobody even wants play with them anymore. It better to use up your training hours against other squadrons period.

If the USN Navy can put up and work through dealing with early F-14s and the USAF say F-111's, again early models, the current Air Force will work through this. If there were air to air in either war there would be 60 F-22's over there and all with 98% up times. This is just peace time rules and will be worked out. Just my two cents
icon14.gif

"Good radar's see fighter size targets on good days 90 to 160 miles away"

Well depends on what type of radar and the Radar cross section of a plane is. Example. You take russias most powerful in-service radar from the su-35bm the Irbis-E (passive phased array radar). It would detect a 3 m2 object (3x3 meter obect) at about 150miles away at best conditions. Do you know the radar cross section of the f-22 is? It is classified, but many can accurately speculate it to be around .002 m2. So using that size the f-22 would be roughly 40 miles aways from the Sukoi should he even have a chance to detect the f-22. This doesn not include anny active radar cancelation being used by the f-22, so even if the sukoi could detect the f-22, it's doubtful it could lock on to the Raptor.

Now. Look at the f-22's radar. the AN/APG-77 Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar. It is capable of detecing a .5 m2 object about 140 miles away. The su-35bm's RCS is much larger than that!

The f-22 would just watch and wait at a very long distance away waiting for the perfect first shot first kill, while the sukoi has no clue whats about to happen.

'In this other forum real F-16 pilots say it's just brutal the way they get beat nobody even wants play with them anymore. It better to use up your training hours against other squadrons period."

What planes are the f-16's being pitted against? F-15? F-22? Migs" or Flankers? The f-16 is still a very capable dog fighter. it can handle its own against mig-29's and mig-21's Gripens, rafale, and come out on top most of the time... Against newer planes, such as the su-35bm Eurofighter, f-15, f-22, f-35 it would be very difficult. Now take the F-22. It has pulled off some unheard of kill ratios against other f-15/16/18's in mock dogfight excersies. Kill ratios of 108:1 meaning only 1 f-22 was lost against 108 of those others I mentioned. The f-22 is that good.

How does the f-22 compare to other planes? Well theorized estimates vary but are pretty accurate to the following

Against the su-35BM: 10:1 on favor of the raptor
Against the Eurofighter: 5:1 Raptor
Against the gripen: dont even ask.. dozens....
Against the Rafale, about 15:1 Raptor

The f-22 Raptor is THAT good! Once the f-35 comes operational, the USAF will be 15-20 years ahead of any other country. including Russia in air dominance....

Just look at the ratios though. A Mirage III would have a better chance against an F-15 than an F-16 would against an F-22.

"theorized" estimates are not real world figures. When the f-22 goes head to head with actuall fighters ina real world we can talk again.

We're talking about Red Flag type air-to-air exercises. It's about as close as you can get without actually shooting each other down.
In exercises over here, F-4s do succeed against F-16s often enough considering their age gap. I can't imagine that they'd be knocked out as much against F-15s as badly as the F-22s have knocked out the Vipers.

Back