New Book on Victory Medals

Johnnymac1

Hi, I am new to this forum. I would like to post a notice that my new book which was published in July 2014 is for sale and the name of my book is, "World War I, Victory Medals" it is selling on Amazon US & UK. It has 282 pages with over 200 illustrations and covers many new victory medals and clasps. The book also has the history of the US Victory medal from 1920 to 2012. It touches on subjects like the US Marine's role, Bailey Banks and Biddle's roles the Commission of Fine Art's role, George Studley's role, and other subject like, was there an wire loop victory medal, and was there a numbered US victory medal, with much more. thanks, Jim

This was posted on Amazon.UK in my first review:

Until now the most quoted - because the only - source of information on the Victory Medals of World War 1 was written by Alexander Laslo in the 1970s, revised and reprinted in the 1990s. Since then much more information has been found, and the lack of clear, colour photographs in his book has often been lamented. These deficiencies have now been more than adequately addressed in Jim Michels' fine book.

For those whose interest is in the medals of the United States half of the 282 pages are taken up with a full and detailed explanation of the genesis and production of that country's Victory medal, thoroughly backed up by quotations from the original documents - General Orders of the period, correspondence from General Pershing, and Regulations from the years following. Details of the contractors chosen to produce the medals - and those not chosen - as well as details of the different award criteria of the Army and Navy, used to determine how the medals were claimed and the different clasps that were authorized and worn, lay to rest the various myths that have arisen on these matters. Full details of the unofficial clasps that were produced for veterans are given, and there are copious colour photographs of the varieties of medals and clasp combinations that are available, as well as advice on avoiding dubious offerings at medal meets and on-line auctions.

For the collector of the Victory medals of the other victorious Allied Nations the rest of the book covers each country alphabetically, showing large colour photographs of the various varieties of the medals that were produced by their governments and by firms hoping to sell to veterans and collectors, as well as fakes designed to deceive. Many new varieties are shown compared with the Laslo classifications, clearly labelled and with the differences explained.

Because of technical difficulties beyond the control of the author, some photographs have reproduced in darker than ideal tones. In a few cases this makes it difficult to discern the details on the medals that are so important to collectors, but this does not detract from the value of Jim Michels' deep research into the subject, which makes this book a very important contribution to the study of the World War 1 Victory medals.

Looks to be a good book, it is a pity it doesn't appear to be available in electronic format then I wouldn't have to wait for delivery.

:)

No problem, I have just reached a point where I find reference books are more accessible is they are in electronic format (for me Kindle as it is available across a range of equipment, PC, Android etc.)

What was the latest / last Victory that U.S. has participated in , I would say Korea , South Korea has become a strong ally and trading partner , some might go on to say the tet offensive 1968 though in my opinion that was a hollow Victory .

Back