New Book - AMONGST THE MARINES by Steven Preece - Page 2

--

March 15th, 2006  
sven hassell

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenPreece
Well guys. Now that I've joined the forum I can answer questions myself.

There was some shocking stuff in there. But that's how it was at that time. I told the story just like it was, warts and all. I guess its the best way.

Steven Preece
Author of Amongst The Marines and Always A Marine
Do tightwads like myself get it cheaper if we buy direct from you?
March 16th, 2006  
Locke

call me a cynic but how do we know its really you and not some poser?
it seems sadly increasingly common for people to jump up spouting false credentials, especially claiming to be in the military as its members are revered in a way not associated with other "normal" professions.

if you are the steven preece that wrote the books, i have a lot of respect for you.
March 16th, 2006  
Marinerhodes

Locke does have a point. Internet anonymity and impersonation is easy to accomplish. Meh, I give the benefit of the doubt until I am proven wrong. Just don't prove me wrong please.
--
March 16th, 2006  
StevenPreece

Topic: Me

Guys, I don't sell my books directly. You can get them from the shops. i.e. Waterstones or WH Smiths or even Amazon.co.uk or .com. Personally I don't care if you get them from the library as I actually wrote them to move on with my life and it worked immensely.

I am Steven Preece alright. If you've read my books you can ask any questions.

my publisher in the UK is www.mainstreampublishing.com My books are also viewable on there or via Amazon.

Best wishes

Steven Preece
May 24th, 2006  
StevenPreece

Guys, I guess it would be prudent to share the debate about my books with you:

I've wrote two books over the past two years and my first one caused havoc on some of the military forums. However, it was based on fact and was in reality an untold story about life amongst the ranks.

Consequently. If you've read "Amongst The Marines" this may interest you.

I guess unless you're a little slow you can see through all the denial. The confirmation on the threads actually prove the start, the middle and the end of my story.

http://civviestreet.proboards19.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1123 087300

Also read the other, more lengthy. Its 10 pages long. Use the pages, field in the bottom left hand corner to flip pages:

http://civviestreet.proboards19.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1094 557494

http://civviestreet.proboards19.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1133 080156

This one's a good read:

http://civviestreet.proboards19.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1128 526357

Read Yashin's comments here:

http://civviestreet.proboards19.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=1142 637416&page=2

Happy Reading

Steve
May 24th, 2006  
PJ24

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenPreece
Guys, I guess it would be prudent to share the debate about my books with you:

I've wrote two books over the past two years and my first one caused havoc on some of the military forums. However, it was based on fact and was in reality an untold story about life amongst the ranks.

Consequently. If you've read "Amongst The Marines" this may interest you.

I guess unless you're a little slow you can see through all the denial. The confirmation on the threads actually prove the start, the middle and the end of my story.
I've found that most books written about personal experiences in the military are based on one's perception of fact. You may have remembered the exact same event differently than someone else.

Who you are, your attitude, how you deal with people and situations can all change the outcome of an event or the perception of an event. Memory is a funny thing, it can forget the bigger picture and sometimes exaggerate the smaller details. Books can only contain so much information, many times the boring, trivial and general day to day activites get passed on for the "beefy" stuff making it look worse than it actually is/was.

So like I said, it's all about perception.

I also think there is a bit of denial and anger that does occur when someone releases a book that maybe shouldn't have been put out for public consumption. My school of thought is what happens in the unit, stays in the unit (no jokes about Fight Club boys). Some things are to be told, some things aren't.

You obviously had a reason to write your book, it has made you some money which is good and more importantly, it has done you some personal good (as you indicated in another post).

Your book is sold as a "personal account" as far as I can tell. Nothing more, nothing less. Former and current RMs are certainly within their right to disagree as their personal experiences may have been different. However, on the other side of the coin, they cannot or at least, should not discount your personal experiences because they disagree with them.

June 4th, 2006  
StevenPreece

There is wisdom in your words my friend. I agree with you entirely.

Many Thanks

Steve