The new Battlestar Galactica the most military sci fi show?

Is the new "Battlestar Galactica" the most military sci fi show?

• Yes, sure is!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I think another show is (name the show and reason you think so)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Charge 7

Master Gunner
Anybody else watching the new "Battlestar Galactica" on the Sci Fi Channel? This one is so different from the original it hardly bears a resemblance. Very serious and oddly enough for a sci fi show, timely. The situations could be pulled right out of today's headlines in many ways. The Cylons are Al Queda and look like anybody else, could be anywhere etc. The fight for survival of a civilization is there. Quite a military theme to the whole thing. In fact, I think this is the most military sci fi show ever. The "Galactica" could be an aircraft carrier the way it's shown in the series. Good scripts, great charactors, this show makes Star Trek look like the Boy Scouts. If you've missed the start of the season, repeats will be coming around in a few weeks as the season comes to a close and you can rent or buy the mini series the show sprang from on DVD now.

I think its a top quality show. I have been enjoying every episode so far and i like the idea's that have been put into this film. I don't really like the president though, her softness makes it harder for the commander.

Well that just adds more conflict for the show, and a dose of reality too. Those kind of personalities are very much a part of warfare in the world we live in.

Yeah i guess so, but its odd that there is so much political trouble, yet they are in the middle of War and the first thing to worry about should be survival. Would be awesome if the commander started a military coup. At least the president can shut up. The battlestar reminds me of an aircraft carrier in ways as well. Anyway, this makes SG1 look like trash. :)

Battlestar Galactica is heavily influenced from "Wing Commander" (1999), which is a complete failure for most critics.

Uh, no. Very different if you've watched the show at all. I don't know what critics you're talking about, but all the ones I've been reading have been raving about it and calling it the best sci fi ever.

Yes I have seen GALACTICA, new and old. When I mention about the critics, I was referring to reviews about WING COMMANDER. So please verify if you have misunderstood me.

And about the Critics who claim that GALACTICA was the best Sci-fi, they are blantly overstating. They are not professional critics if they were to say something is "Best".

Yes, I did misunderstand you as to which you were refering to.

As to whether or not the critics are "professional" well I'm citing comments from TV Guide, Variety, Chicago Tribune, Toronto Star, and others have stated it's the best sci fi out there. And more importantly, so have the fans as it's the most popular sci fi show by leagues.

Here are several pics to illustrate my contention that the new Battlestar Galactica is indeed the most military of sci fi shows.

The CO

The CO and the XO

The plot room

Pilots ready room

Pilots briefing

Aircraft (note similarity to real jets)

Flight operations

Battle

Global Thermonuclear War

Politics

Honored dead

Back