New Army Uniforms!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheeselets

How does everyone like the new army's new combat uniform?
also what about the fact that the whole army is in berets now?

i liked it the old way . . .

I saw it last month, seems quite odd and urgly :D

vert.uniform.ap.jpg

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Army revealed on Monday a redesigned combat uniform with a digital camouflage pattern that looks strikingly different from soldiers' current battle dress uniforms.

It marks the first major change in the Army uniform since 1981, said Brig. Gen. James R. Moran, who modeled the uniform for reporters at the Pentagon. He said recruits will be issued the redesigned uniform starting October 2005, and the entire Army will be outfitted by December 2007.

The uniform is being produced in a single, universal pattern to replace the two camouflage versions in current use: tan-brown for desert use and green-brown-black for woodland settings.

The pattern for the new camouflage coat and trousers is a mix of light green, tan and gray. Moran said it was designed to allow soldiers to blend into urban, desert and forest environments; it is similar to the Marines' digital camouflage uniform except that it has no black in the pattern.

Soldiers also will get a new, no-shine, tan combat boot, and the current black boots will be discontinued.

The new uniform makes more use of Velcro, and the coat fastens in front with a zipper instead of buttons. Cuffs and pockets are fastened with Velcro, and the coat collar can be turned up and fastened Mandarin-style. The uniform is roomier and made with a no-wrinkle fabric.

The coat-trousers combination costs $88, compared with $56 for the current battle dress uniform.

The new uniform was designed in part to accommodate the new Interceptor body armor that soldiers are getting in Iraq and Afghanistan for partial protection from bullets as large as 7.62mm. The Mandarin-style collar, for example, shields the neck from the Interceptor vest collar.

Moran said the Army will offer soldiers extra protection with add-on armor for the underarm area, which is not covered with protective plates in Interceptor vests. The deltoid protection will increase the weight of the armor vests from 16 pounds to 22 pounds.

About 50,000 sets of deltoid protection are to be available by the end of September.

Moran said the Army is looking for ways to protect soldiers better who risk death or injury from homemade bombs in Iraq, the weapons of choice for anti-U.S. insurgents.

"We have a clever enemy, an adaptable enemy," he said.

I really don't like them. The bit about no black boots gets me. I like to be able to come into work with polished boots. That's one thing that shows who really cares about their uniform. The 101st and 82nd worship jump boots. They wear them with their class A uniform. I am guessing between now and 07, black boots will be allowed.

The only reason why I can think of the army using 1 color uniform is becuase of the logistic problems of outfitting 150,000 troops with desert uniforms. I got summer bottoms and winter tops. I was told I could "fix" it in country. DO NOT believe that line.

I like wearing the beret when I am not outside in the sun all day. The patrol cap keep the sun off your face. That is really good when you are out on the motor pool all day. I just wish the Army hadn't stole the black beret from the rangers.

that's my 2 cents

With all due respect, but the US have allways had the most good looking uniforms in the world I think. No that one goes down in the garbagecan ,usefull or not on the battlefield . Thank ya lord for the classic US BDU. That new one looks like someone had a bad day and puked up all over it together with a mini skirt. :lol:

Cheers:
Doc.S

:viking:

Sincerly I am sorry about the way things have turned out ---- appeal to the supreme court It is still 3 years to that one. "I think General Patton would turn in his grave if he saw that one comming." :( :oops: :)

:cheers:

Doc.S

I really don't see it sticking . . . especially the boot issue . . . are they going with the TAN boots completely? are these uniforms good for the jungle and wooded areas . . . i can't see even special operations soldiers wearing them . . . please tell me if i'm wrong

Like it has been said, the looks are not important in the slightest. If anyone is joining the Army because they think they will look good in the uniform than they shouldn't be joining at all.

I am not joining the Army but if I was than as long as a knew that if I went to combat that the new style of uniform would offer better concealment or is more practical than I would wear it without any reservations whatsoever.

I don't actuallythink it looks that bad and I cant imagine the army doing away with the black boots completely because tan boots don't conceal well in ALL environments, they would have to have something else.

I guess that they are doing away with the black boots for non-combat use but would let them be worn when the mission requires them.

Uncle_Sam:
Who gives a s**t about is it ugly or not? If it's very usefull on the battlefield!

Marksman:
ok we'r not on paris high fashion style week.......if its doing the job its good in my book

Qwertyuiop:
Like it has been said, the looks are not important in the slightest. If anyone is joining the Army because they think they will look good in the uniform than they shouldn't be joining at all.

I agree guys.... Only my two cents of the first impression of the new look, ugly or not. ;)

Cheers:
Doc.S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back