New Army PT program

Duty Honor Country

I did my aunual training with the recruiters a few weeks ago. I heard some people talking about a new PT program at basic training. It seems that it is easier now and the Drill Sergeants are mad.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

“It became so routine to train Soldiers for the PT test instead of physically training them for their combat tasks,” he said. “For instance, a two-mile run is a good measure of cardiovascular endurance, but it doesn’t necessarily help a warrior in battle.”

Hmmmm, if a soldier is running a 11 minute 2 mile run, I do believe that would help him in battle. Most soldiers who have problems in combat arms are the ones who are weak physically.

It is my belief that Army PT is not that challenging. To see mass impovements, a soldier must train on his/her own time. Army PT will do little more than to sustain what you got.

One Sergeant told me that the only way to improve the PT test is ONLY to do push ups, sit ups and run. I can tell you that is bull. I swam and biked for 5 weeks and increased my PT score 70 points. Do what you got to do

Doody said:
Hmmmm, if a soldier is running a 11 minute 2 mile run, I do believe that would help him in battle. Most soldiers who have problems in combat arms are the ones who are weak physically.

I have some personal experience with this one. My best bud in the Corps was an outstanding runner, sub 15 minute 3 mile runs, but had a problem doing the required humps in full gear. We started a weight training program and was able to get him to be able to keep up in the "other than PFT" training. It also put about 20# on him within the year. So, just because you can run doesn't always make you prepared for the field.

I do agree with you on the training aspect. You do not have to just concentrate on the PFT events to get results. In the units I was in we focussed mainlyt on crosstraining and a large amount of weight lifting. For people jsut joining the unit, it usually helped them improve at least 10 to 15% without injuries associated with single event training.

Everything changes eventually in one way or another and there is usually nothing that we can do about it we just have to adapt and drive on

Back