Neutrals in WW2

I agree with all the nations going to the Axis side except for Sweden.

On the one hand Sweden had no love for Russian, on the other hand it did have good relations with Norway which was under Russian occupation. It also was used as a transit point for Jewish refugees as well as allied airmen escaping capture. Sweden actually refusing Hitlers demand that she surrender all her Jews.

Sweden's response was this "there is no Jewish problem in Sweden". A response that enraged Hitler.

So I tempted to say Sweden stays with the Allies.

mmarsh said:
I agree with all the nations going to the Axis side except for Sweden.

On the one hand Sweden had no love for Russian, on the other hand it did have good relations with Norway which was under Russian occupation.

The Russians liberated the northernmost counties from the Germans and then decided to pull out due to the good Norway - Russian relations in 1945.

I read somewhere that when Hitler finished off the French he agreed to send help to the spanish who were currently in a civil war. Hitler sent guns, tanks and two S.S. Divisions to their aid. When they won the war Spain agreed to help Hitler in his war against Russia. Spain sent one division to the easternfront.

Funny Fact: 1917: Cuba declares war on Germany!

WorldWatcher said:
If the European neutrals such as Sweden,Turkey,Spain, and Switzerland did not stay neutral, what sides do you think they would join and how much of an effect do you think theywould have on the outcome of the war?

Turkey declared war on Germany on March 3rd 1945.

Sweden remained neutral but was the main provider of Iron Ore and Coal for Germans.

Spain gave her ports to German subs! However Spanish officials didnt bother to check on allied airmen using their country to get to England.

Switzerland helped Allies airmen and POWs to escape through her territories.

I think the outcome of war was clear when Hitler declared war on Russians and later couldnt get to what he had set as goals.

Usefullidiot said:
I read somewhere that when Hitler finished off the French he agreed to send help to the spanish who were currently in a civil war. Hitler sent guns, tanks and two S.S. Divisions to their aid. When they won the war Spain agreed to help Hitler in his war against Russia. Spain sent one division to the easternfront.

Funny Fact: 1917: Cuba declares war on Germany!

Nazis helped them in mid 1930s!

KC72:
You've all forgotten about Ireland, what would they have done?

Ireland also had dozens of American Bombers and Rangers stationed on her soil to help patrol the shores.

The first US soldiers to enter WWII landed in Ireland.

The US Navy HQ stationed in Londonderry during WWII

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/art/A&I/Ir-im.htm

Ireland also had dozens of American Bombers and Rangers stationed on her soil to help patrol the shores.

The first US soldiers to enter WWII landed in Ireland.

The US Navy HQ stationed in Londonderry during WWII

That was in the north which is British, i was referring tho the Republic.

Darcia said:
Spain was going to join Hitler but some diferences made it a no go.

Switzerland actualy did aid the nazi's such as building things for them and hidding thier wealth so they would have went Germany. Swededn probably would have gone with The Allies since it had saw Germany invade it's nieghbors, and Turkey probably would have went with NG for defensive reasons.

Sweden did do a lot of business with Germany during the war.But probably not because they liked the Nazi regime more than the Allies but because they didn't want to be invaded like Norway.

What about Finland? I think they were helped out by Germany to some extent during the Winter War against the Soviet Union.

phoenix80 said:
Switzerland helped Allies airmen and POWs to escape through her territories.

Mussolini tried to flee to Switzerland disguised as a German soldier along with other Germans. So I guess the Swiss also gave unarmed German combatants passage.

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
Darcia said:
Spain was going to join Hitler but some diferences made it a no go.

Switzerland actualy did aid the nazi's such as building things for them and hidding thier wealth so they would have went Germany. Swededn probably would have gone with The Allies since it had saw Germany invade it's nieghbors, and Turkey probably would have went with NG for defensive reasons.

Sweden did do a lot of business with Germany during the war.But probably not because they liked the Nazi regime more than the Allies but because they didn't want to be invaded like Norway.

What about Finland? I think they were helped out by Germany to some extent during the Winter War against the Soviet Union.
Finland's alliegences were determined before the war ever started. The moment Germany invaded the USSR, Finland was guaranteed to side with them 100%. Remember the 1939 Winter War where Finland was invaded by the USSR??? Finland won, sure. They also were not very appreciative of the Soviet's attempt to conquer them. Of all nations that joined the Axis, I can countenance their position more than any other.

godofthunder9010 said:
Finland's alliegences were determined before the war ever started. The moment Germany invaded the USSR, Finland was guaranteed to side with them 100%. Remember the 1939 Winter War where Finland was invaded by the USSR??? Finland won, sure. They also were not very appreciative of the Soviet's attempt to conquer them. Of all nations that joined the Axis, I can countenance their position more than any other.

I don't remember the 1939 Winder War. Never mind the fact that I mentioned it in the post you quoted. :roll:

:lol:

Didn't Churchill verbally support the Finns before WW2 broke out?

LOL, not a big deal. I just need to pay attention better. Anyways, if memory serves, the UK and Germany both did a lot of passive assistance to Finland, but Germany's help was a good bit more helpful.

One thing that surprises me about the WW2 neutrals were these two: Spain and Turkey. Both had plenty of reason to join the Axis cause. Turkey and Russia have mutually hated one another for ages. Spain saw a Fascist dictator just having taken over the coutry. The Allies even actively worked agaist Mr. Franky's takeover, yet he did not commit to the Axis side. I think Turkey figured they'd lost too much in WW1 and was unwilling to risk more.

mmarsh said:
On the one hand Sweden had no love for Russian, on the other hand it did have good relations with Norway which was under Russian occupation. It also was used as a transit point for Jewish refugees as well as allied airmen escaping capture. Sweden actually refusing Hitlers demand that she surrender all her Jews.

Sweden's response was this "there is no Jewish problem in Sweden". A response that enraged Hitler.
The quote is actually "there is no Jewish problem in Finland " and was by the Finnish Prime Minister, when asked by Hitler what he was going to do with the Jews in Finland

I think Spain going to join Germany. Sweden....well.....I don't know. Swiss going to join Germany because Swiss was encircled by Germans
Turkey is too chicken to fight on German until Feb 45. On that day Germany already got encircled by Britishs, Americans, Frenchs, and Russians.

Back