Netherlands sells fighter jets to Chile

rock45

Netherlands sells fighter jets to Chile

Published: Monday 25 May 2009 10:00 UTC
Last updated: Monday 25 May 2009 10:00 UTC

The Netherlands is to sell 18 F16 fighter aircraft to Chile. A Chilean minister announced the deal last month, but it has only now been confirmed by Deputy Defence Minister Jack de Vries in a letter to the lower house of parliament.

According to news agency ANP, the agreed price for the surplus F16s is around 100 million euros, but the defence ministry has not specified a sum. The deal includes training for 75 Chilean technicians.

The announcement of the sale coincides with a visit to the Netherlands by Chilean President Michelle Bachelet, who has a trade delegation travelling in her wake.

Two parts
Link
http://www.radionetherlands.nl/news/zijlijn/6313280/Netherlands-sells-fighter-jets-to-Chile

Rock do you have the scoop on this?
Wasn´t Chile on the market to buy modern fighters awhile back?
What happened?
Recession set in?

//KJ.

KJ your magical or something there was a rumor for new Block-52 Vipers but it went dead very fast. My Chilean guy drop off the face of the earth and my main contact to him was in this forum that went off the net.

Sherman Holland would hear it big time if they sold Venezuela a screwdriver never mind F-16s. Israel lost a major upgrade sales a few years back complete overhaul, upgrades, the works on Chavez Vipers. I think it would have been Israel's first export ACE contract. I think the US made good on the prices on a F-16 order, the last one.

Even Israel would need clearance to sell their A/B Vipers to Chile or it would have been done already. Chile's Vipers have Israeli made equipment on them big time and are Python V equipped, I think one of the few Air Forces of the world. Come within 15, 18 miles in and Chile's Vipers will shoot you down.

Israel did a very good job on Chile's F-5 II/III upgrades and might have done some work on their Mirage Vs and might have slipped a Kfir in as a replacement.

Back