negotiating with terrorists

Should we negotiating with terrorists?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Duty Honor Country

The US has always said it will not negotiating with terrorists. Every time a US citizen is kidnapped in Iraq, I hear about this policy. I know the families of the kidnapped must feel pretty mad at this policy.

Other countries have negotiated to get the release of their citizens. I do believe that the female Italian reporter may have got her release through negotiation.

Should we negotiate with terrorists?

The problem with negotiating with terrorists is that as soon as you do, you have ten other terrorists knocking at your door.

we should never negotiate with the terrorist.no way.
if we negotiate for what ever reasons, the terrorist will go another inch further

my gut reaction is to say no, but looking to northern ireland it seems talking produces the best results and while the peace process isnt perfect (now theres an understatement) the bombings have stopped and that can only be good.

We were talking more to sinn fein then the ira in northern ireland. In some cases such as northern ireland where the terrorists have been in place for many years then possibly negotiation is an option. But in iraq if you start negotiatin more terrorists are going to get on the act, and it wont work.

Established Governments should not negotiate with terrorists knowing that terrorists can make irrational choice. But, you'll have to consider the morale aspect as well. What if a foreigner was to be held as hostage and the captors demand a certain amount of currency in return of the hostage. If the Government refuses to comply or to negotiate, surely the hostage would be executed. We've seen this many times in Iraq. Italy, instead of following the American and British Policy of no negotiations, paid the ransom instead of ignoring the demand which actually saved lives. But, it would be clear that the money given would be invested into more terrorist activities.

Concerning to Spain, the Goverment began to talk with ETA a few years ago and the terrorist stop the bombings for a while. With the pass of the time it was demostrated that they used that time for reforcing their selfs, buying more weapons and recruiting more fanatics.

I think it has to do with the terrorists you're dealing with and the govt. The US and russia won't negotiate since they feel above that and that their militaries will take out terrorists permanently. But if you don't have all the necessary resources to deal with terrorists, and for years and decades the fighting has been going on like the ira, it's really the only thing you can do to negotiate. Even if that means buying time for terrorists, at least things will slow down.

Islam will have egg on its face until it takes responsibility for its fanatics. Sure, I know of some Christian-focussed extremist groups in the USA and throughout the world. They hang around in bedsheets, then go to rallies in them or other silly thing. Some move to Northern Idaho or elsewhere in the inner Mountain West of the USA where they go and hide from the rest of the human race. And what do we think of them? We think they're absolutely nuts!!

I've heard from Iranians and Paletinians and a number of other Muslim nation's people. They often are offended by the notion that a man who walks into a preschool with a bomb strapped to him, then detonates it killing himself and 33 children, is a "Terrorist". Nope, he's a "freedom fighter." Some will not go that far. They will say "he is just a very misunderstood individual." A frequent common thread is how we Americans (or others) do not understand anything about it. That shred of sympathy for an idividual who deserves none.

Most of the USA isn't on the verge of joining the KKK or the Nazi Party. They are made fun of. People take them about as seriously a man who is 100% convince that he is a glass of orange juice, and terrified that everyone will try to drink him. (Yes, its a true story.)

How can you negotiate with these deranged pyscopaths. How you trust a word that comes out of their mouths. They beleive killing innocent people with a car bomb or something, is either gods will, or an expression of their political opinon.
Negotiating with terrorists is a waste of time, why bother.
IMO there is only one solution to terrorisim

Where do we draw the line ? I say no, do not negotiate with kidnappers or terrorists. If you give in to one then the flood gates will open.

If the Government refuses to comply or to negotiate, surely the hostage would be executed. We've seen this many times in Iraq. Italy, instead of following the American and British Policy of no negotiations, paid the ransom instead of ignoring the demand which actually saved lives.

And if we do that, how many other people will be kidnapped afterwards? How many more lives would be put at risk? A life that may or may not be saved by paying off terrorists is poor compensation for putting everyone else at greater risk. The next thing terrorists would do is decide who they would free and who they would execute anyway. Anybody remember the Achille Lauro?

NEGOTIATION IS HELPFUL !!!!!!!

Just like everybody,Terrorists are humankind, too.

They have the same feeling like us at the bottom of their heart,

when a hostage is being killed.

NO BODY LIKE DEATH!

The lives of hostages are much more important than anything else!!!!!!

Released prisoners may be captured again.

Stolen cash may be got back.

Assaulted women may go on living.

But,

HOW can you make a killed hostage, RELIVE??????

PLEASE,

just imagine, if you were hijacked by terrorists,

DON'T YOU WANT THE NEGOTIATION?????!!!!!! :evil:

NO BODY LIKE DEATH!

Then please explain the use of swords for beheadings and graphic video footage showing it in which the terrorists all cheer? For that matter explain suicide bombers who target women and children? They like death alright. Their sure ticket to paradise in their eyes.

Charge 7 said:

NO BODY LIKE DEATH!

Then please explain the use of swords for beheadings and graphic video footage showing it in which the terrorists all cheer? For that matter explain suicide bombers who target women and children? They like death alright. Their sure ticket to paradise in their eyes.

propaganda!!!!!!

Terrorists would never give TV a footage showing their fear, nor a record

showing how much the suicide bombers love their lives!

All what you said are from the propaganda produced

by terrorists themselves!

If you negotiate now, you may have saved one person.
But it'll guarantee that MUCH MUCH more lives will be risked in near future.

the_13th_redneck said:
If you negotiate now, you may have saved one person.
But it'll guarantee that MUCH MUCH more lives will be risked in near future.

I will stick with "sometimes" as my answer, there are some groups you simply cant negotiate with as no matter how much you conceed they will not change however I dont believe you can blanket all groups this way. I think it should be a case by case process.

I guess it really depends on what, you do have a very good point.
If they had a nuke in the middle of NYC... it's probably time to break the bank.

Mmmmh... well I voted Never before reading the nuke in the NYC example which just made me think that maybe sometimes we should...
Those who mentioned my country here are right: We have a totally different line of attitude towards terrorists. Italy is historically on another track than the anglo-saxon position on this. Not as far as France (their kidnapped citizens enjoy the record of time spent in captivity), because we do mix negotiating andblitzes. The four contractors were actually rescued (actually, the three left plus a Pole. The fourth, Fabrizio Quattrocchi was actually killed instants after famously shouting I'll show you how an Italian dies!- this happened one year ago, on April 14)
After the Italian reporter (the commie) kidnapping there was a big talk about our position. In my view, we should not treat, but I can see how terrible it is.

Back