needing information for important decision.

Hey im 19 years old and ive been contemplating on joining the military. The two bran changes that interest me are the marines and the army. Ive been going back and forth and I just cant choose. Based off just what I have heard. I feel I have to proove it to myself that I can become a marine and be among the few and proud. I know its not just abput the pride or comraderie. Its much more but many say army offers more and it can have as much pride etc etc. I want to join a branch and not regret it. I want to go special forced and become a part of the top elite groups. That is my main goal but im trying to make a smart decision and not base it just off a few things. I want to view from all perspectives. I would much appreciate it if I could get imput from both marine members as well army. I respect both branches equally and I know they have each there own missions so comparisons will of course be different but thanks to any that help with my decision.

And the Army vs. USMC p!ssing match starts in 3....2....1....

Go Marine Corps. Their uniforms look better. ;)

But seriously. Welcome aboard. There's plenty of good guys in here to get advice from.

I honestly agree tjat the marine corps uniforms look best put of the other branches and thank you. Im hoping to get the right info sp I can make a logical decision also based on how I am as a person as well.

Welcome aboard.

Do the necessary research on both branches, not just conjecture. Google is a miraculous thing. If you still have questions then PM me.

I have done all the research. Checked many things trust me. I look in depth on things before making decisions espically one as this. But it doesnt help the decision. I want to hear from some people that are in army and marines and kind of explain a little in depth about things to help. I need to hear of experineces and such. Its a troubling decision. Constantly battling back and forth on what I want

The old Brit. “Lobster back” uniforms were great too - especially as targets!

I am a retired soldier and an ex-recruiter. I also have contacts with the other US services, working Joint Opns and being stationed on Navy and AF bases (I was also in Jr. Marine ROTC).

The best advise I can give you is talk to recruiters, from all services, and make the best deal you can for yourself.

You mentioned Spec. Ops, a couple of times, if that is truly your goal (and be advised that Spec. Opn.‘s is far more than SF, Rangers, and/or SEAL’s and may not by exactly what you see on TV or in the movies), then the Army will give you much more opportunity to get into that field, but don’t think you can enlist for Special Forces or Rangers, you must prove yourself first, usually by enlisting and being trained in a job that they need; them performing in that job for a while; and all will require Airborne Training (at an Army School, BTW) which is best taken right after Basic Training.

No matter what service the ASVAB (the initial qualifying test) is GOD! Without high scores you will have limited options in any military service. It is impossible to over emphasize the importance of this test. The public takes qualification for service as a given - meaning anyone can get it - and that is far from the truth. US Military, as a whole, are far above the average citizen in intelligence. The scores from this test will follow you throughout your career and will determine whether or not you can get into fields other than those you enlisted for. And with the current drawdowns the Military can be even more selective.

DON’T TAKE THIS TEST LIGHTLY!

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thank ypu for the advice. It will definately be useful in my decision. Its a difficult aspect because its hard to understand the marines if not in but it also depends on the person. I will consider everything and see what comes of it.

Back