Need suggestions/opinions

Lamm

I'm 17 years of age and will be 17 when I graduate high school this summer. I want to join the USMCR this summer, go through all the training and start college.
I started talking to my Dad about him signing my contract and he didn't take it all that well. He got irritated and said no, he won't sign the contract, and since I still want to join the Marines he will not sign any school papers...such as financial aid, application to college, etc.
I'm asking for some opinions on what I should do. If he does not sign the contract..I'm screwed. I can't go to college, correct? So, if thats the case, I figure my best alternative is to join the Corps when I turn 18. Get on active duty as a Combat Engineer and start college as soon as I can. Any other suggestions? Please, feel free to give your opinion/suggestion.
Thanks,
Lamm

Sit down with both of your parents and have an adult discussion about your futrure. If this has already been done then I suggest you try again and come up with a better argument that is acceptable to all concerned.

i agree with Devil, im going to go in when im 18, serve, and then get college, but im also thinking about making a career out of the military.

LIPS said:
Sit down with both of your parents and have an adult discussion about your futrure. If this has already been done then I suggest you try again and come up with a better argument that is acceptable to all concerned.

I'll ditto LIPS advice. I'll also add that it is natural for parents to be concerned over their children entering the military. Voice your position in an adult manner. If it doesn't work wait till your 18.

Oh man did my parents get mad when I decided to join the Army. My mom finally relented after I told her if she did not sign the papers, I wouldsign up on my 18th birthday.

If all fails, I would surgest doing a term in the enlisted ranks. You'll get valuable experience for when you become an officer. When you get out, you can always get into an ROTC. Your college will be paid for and you will get your tuition. I am in the process of doing so, but with the Army. Plus you will come out as a cadet with no college loans.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I have no regreats by delaying going to college and going into the Army.

Sounds like I'll either do that or try to go to college while on active duty.
Thanks for the help,
Lamm

I've been told many times by people to do the following.

It would be me graduating high school, enlisting for active duty, going infantry, and serving out the contract, 4 years, 3 if I can get a 3 year contract, going reserves, and going to college, then applying for OCS.
What are some flaws to this? If I did this, when I went into the USMCR, would I get any tuituion assistance for college, from the Corps. I know if you serve for four years, you get money for college when you get out. Would that apply for me when I went into the USMCR? Also, would it be easy for me to go from active to reserves? Do I just put in the paper work and wait for it to go through? Or when its time to re-enlist do I simply check USMCR, as simple as that?
What are your opnions on this?
Thanks,
Lamm

considering joining canadian army

i am a member of the canadian cadet movement and are considering joining canadian army and need advice about how difficult training is and suggestions from any former or active military thank you

Lamm said:

I'm 17 years of age and will be 17 when I graduate high school this summer. I want to join the USMCR this summer, go through all the training and start college.
I started talking to my Dad about him signing my contract and he didn't take it all that well. He got irritated and said no, he won't sign the contract, and since I still want to join the Marines he will not sign any school papers...such as financial aid, application to college, etc.
I'm asking for some opinions on what I should do. If he does not sign the contract..I'm screwed. I can't go to college, correct? So, if thats the case, I figure my best alternative is to join the Corps when I turn 18. Get on active duty as a Combat Engineer and start college as soon as I can. Any other suggestions? Please, feel free to give your opinion/suggestion.
Thanks,
Lamm

I'm going to offer you a different opinion than the other suggestions that you have received. Going to college is a big help to whatever future that you are going to have. You may get to college and decide that you actually like it. Plus a college degree, in the right field, can bring you a lot of money. What do you have to lose by at least trying college? The Marine Corp will still be there if you drop out or finish college either way. Going to college now and deciding about the Marine Corp later preserves all your options. Signing up for the Corp now locks you into something that you may regret when your are older.

Last edited:
Back