i need some information on the ranger

ranger24

hey guys/girls im joining the rangers after im out of college and i just need some info on if its hard, is it wirth it, how many people make it out of a certain amount that try out, is the trainging good, and anything else u could tell me about it
(im only 13 now)

thanX:brave:

Ranger Selection is difficult. There are 3 different phases you are required to complete before graduation. The washout rate is pretty high and many who wash out return later to complete it. In many cases graduates have to attend 2 or 3 times before making it through.

Wikipedia Has some good information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranger_School

The official Ranger website is good too:
https://www.benning.army.mil/rtb/

They have pictures of every graduating class since the school was started in 1950. Pretty cool.

You might want to start getting in shape now.

I think I can help you out.

Right now I am in a pre Ranger program at Fort Sill. Pre Ranger is basically a physical program designed to get those who want to go to Ranger School in shape for the physical beating that will happen during Ranger School. Here are some of the things we do in our pre Ranger program

Upper Body: the pushups are different than those accepted in the rest of the Army. Wide arm push ups are a nono. Place your hands right around your shoulders. To do a correct Ranger pushup, you must go all the way down, pause, go all the way up and pause. Speed will cause your pushups not to be counted. You must do 49 pushups to get into Rangers. At Pre Ranger, we must do 59. Pull ups are another killer. You must do 6 to get into Ranger School (8 at Pre Ranger). You start at a dead hang, go up, hold your chin above the bar, come back down, lock out your arms and repeat. Any kicking of your legs or swinging will cause your pull ups not to count. Dips are something we do a lot of too.

Cardio and lower body; I can tell you we destroy our legs in Pre Ranger. Right now I am recovering from a pulled handstring. We do 6 mile runs at least once a week. Hill sprints are another thing we do regularly. We race eachother in groups of 2, the loser must do lunges or mountain climbers. Do that for an hour and one is smoked. Buddy carries are harsh (I am using kind language here). We walk 3 miles where half the people care carried while the other half carries. Yeah, enough said. We do a lot of sprints with lunges, duck walks and other not so fun leg exercises to punish our legs.

Ruck marching: we do one of these a week and this is what hurt my hamstring. Right now our ruck sack weighs 55 lbs. You must walk at a pace faster than 15 minutes a mile for 12 miles to get into ranger school.

I hope that gives you an idea of what it takes to be a Ranger.

DHC

future medic u got that from band fo brothers didnt u?

and thanx man that gives me plenty of enfo and i guess i should start running more and doin pushups. well....itll all be worth it when im a ranger i guess eh. good thing i got a long time to train :m16:

oh and btw wat do u mean wide arm pushups are a nono is that like the pushups were u spread ur arms farther than normal? and there not allowed? i thought that those were the only kinda pushup they do(the wide arm pushups)

Last edited:
wide arm push ups
http://www.netfit.co.uk/fitness/home/upperbody/advanced1/wide-arm-pushups.htm

Ranger standard push ups (actually a pretty good picture)
http://www.baseops.net/basictraining/pushup1.jpg

There is a big difference. Wide arm uses your chest muscles while the other puts a lot of stress on your triceps.

One thing I failed to cover properly is running. I think a 2 mile run time of 13 minutes is a good place to be for Ranger school. I have dropped my run time to 13:14 and seem to do well so far. You will also need to run a 5 miler in under 39 minutes.

oohhhh ok good cuz its alot harder for me to do wide arm pushups than the standard.

yeah i can run like 1 mile in 9 minutes if i try realy hard.
a 5mile under 39 minutes eh? shouldnt be tooo hard.

Good to see a slinging match between a 13 and 16 year old.
I think both of you need to mature.
And Ranger, make your mind up, how many topics do you want to start on the same topic?
Maybe the mods could just have a 'Rangers Ranger etc.' topic!

On a serious note, relax a bit Ranger, you are but a boy, you have plenty of time, and believe me, what sound **** hot now, will put you off when you join.
Concentrate on school now, worry about the serious stuff a bit later on, you WILL need good grades to get you anywhere in the military.

Dave

Before you worry too much about being a Ranger, I would suggest that you must first concentrate on getting into the Army. (Some good advice above) Then, and only then, if you are good enough, you can worry about trying out for the Rangers. By the time you've done some time in the Army and passed all phases of your initial training, you'll have a better idea of what is needed.

There is a big difference. Wide arm uses your chest muscles while the other puts a lot of stress on your triceps.

I see you mentioned the arm diferences, but what about the foot positions?

I just learned that for Drill in the INARNG, we are allowed to have our feet up to 12 inches apart. Are there special standards for Rangers?

Back