Need some advice on a Special Operations scenario

Gun Control

:?: I am writing a screenplay that involves an extraction of kidnapped US diplomats from an Amazon jungle rebel camp where they are being held captive in a makeshift bamboo holding cage. The camp is located in Venezuela and covered in camouflaged netting. As you know our relationship with the dictator Hugo Chavez is uneasy at best. These rebels are allowed to conduct business out of his country but are not in any way affiliated with his government. I am looking for some advice on how to create a covert operation into the jungle to first rescue the hostages but also assassinate all the rebels. The twist is the rebels have been tipped off and create an elaborate ambush that wipes out the entire rescue team except one man. I was thinking about a Halo jump by navy seals but I need some expert advice because I don't want the integrity of this scene to be compromised like they usually are in Hollywood. I need educated advice and would prefer someone with special operations experience. Thanks please give me your thoughts and criticisms.

Last edited:
So your thinking of HALOing SEAL's in they get ambushed expect for 1 Operator and I'm assuming he continues the misson. Already too Hollywoodish. He'd go into E&E mode his missions already compromised. The rescue in your scenerio would be primary the wipping out of all the insurgents would'nt even make it into the brief.

I agree with 03. Self-preservation would become the lone survivor's primary mission. Plus, an incursion like this could easily spark an international incident unless the US already had the authority to go in (unlikely considering current relations).

The survivor is not part of the team. He is an informant that is brought along for intelligence purposes. The audience is not aware of the ambush until later so I just wanted to know how they would prepare for such an operation. Thanks for playing the devils advocate I need that information as well.

Last edited:
They would never bring along an informant, especially if they had to train him in HALO jumps. Also parachuting into jungles is just stupid and probably wouldn't be the best insertion method.

Could the informant tandem jump with a team member if he had his own oxygen?
Also what if the LZ was the Rio Negro river?

Last edited:
Could they tandem jump? That's iffy it's not like civilian sky diving to many variables plus they have to carry a combat load. The more wieght the more you compromise stability.

That aside. They wouldn't take him. They would be briefed by him. They might meet an intel asset on the ground.

Why not go Hoolyweird on this ****..The parameters of the current plot you have designed sounds like a Chris Ryan book I once almost made my way half through before deciding a MAD magazine were more efficient use of time and resources.

Could a mission like that be performed? Yes.
Would the infil be by parachute? No.
Will anyone who knows how tell you? No.
Why? OPSEC.

IMO no one outside the comunity should know how such things are done..

KJ sends..

I apologize for that misunderstanding, I thought someone was yanking my chain and I got my Irish up. No this is not part of course and I realize I am no Tom Clancy but I have tried to research all my material as thoroughly as possible. Actually I think I have done more research than writing. Please keep giving me feedback It's valuable even if I don't always agree with the response I always will respect it. Thanks

Please except my apology lost my cool. Thought you were yanking my chain even if you were I need to man up.

Last edited by a moderator:
If not Parachute, how about a submersible using the river from Columbia or Brazil. From what I understand we have a good relationship with both countries. Probably Columbia because I would think we already have forces deployed there. If you think this topic is too sensitive I will try and come up with another idea. If so, besides reading an entire library on military strategy or hiring a military consultant what are my options. Without breaching operational security does anybody have a different scenario that would fit.

Last edited:
As a screenplay I'd like to know what you are trying to achieve? If it's 1 mans survival against the odds then you could build it around E&E on a mission gone wrong, if it is about a team & their work then the prep for a recce might be best. At the end of the day you can write plenty of plausible entry and egress methods, but in the jungle it is going to be on foot, sweating your b!**s off and very slow progress!

I think that you need to find the hook for the film, the human side, the rest is just technical stuff which is easily resolved.

Venezuela 25 clicks inland off of the Rio Negro river close to both borders of Columbia and Brazil. They were actually kidnapped in Brazil but moved because they had connections in Venezuela and felt it was a safer place to hold them because of US relations with Chavez.

Thanks you said it it's the technical stuff, the prep for the rescue. This is just one scene of two military combat scenes within the whole story. I have 54 scenes total this content is just one tenth of the total story. I was fortunate enough to have an accomplished producer look at my manuscript and wanted me to develop it into a screenplay. Unfortunately under contract I can't disclose the whole story. I am sure half of my hard work will end up on the editing room floor, I just don't want Darth Vader showing up for a cameo appearance in this thing. I'm not sure what to expect all I know is a screenplay is limited to 120 pages and I have an epic (LoL) at 210 pages. That's in screenplay format and that equates to about 350 or 400 pages for a book, which is what I have decide to do also. I guess I need to find a literary agent. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Back