Need Identification of Watch Fob

Trying to figure this one out but I am currently travelling for work so I have no resources.
When I get time later in the week I will ask around.

My first impressions on this one are a little confused as the crossed flags emblem is usually the insignia of the signals corps however the US version also includes a flaming torch in the centre between the flags where as the British one doesn't.

2/13 theortically should be 2nd Battalion 13th Regiment and I have no idea what the 'M's stand for as yet.
But even that has problems as that particular unit did not take part in WW1 as it was in the Philippines at that date (March 18 1918).

Basically I have not made much progress on this as yet but without the computer it is not that easy.

watch fob

Hi, Thanks for your input. I forgot to mention that the reverse of the watch fob has a French franc coin attached to it. Will post the photo shortly. Do you think that the double letter M could be the original owner's initials?

If it is a military motif then I would be surprised if someone would stick their initials in the middle of it.

Part of the problem is that we are only assuming it is military based on the 2/13 designation and the date being WW1, it could easily be a civilian item such as fire company or even a scout troop as they also use cross flag emblems.

Also if it is military I would suggest that it is probably a post war or non-combatant item as it is unlikely anyone would stick a unit designation on a front line item (unless it was post war) but having a French Franc attached certainly gives it a European appeal.

Is there a date on the Franc when it was minted?

Back