need help

ArmyGurl

Does anybody know if i can go to basic training at the age of 17? With out parent consent! My mom deosn't like the fact that i wanna join...(USMC)
PLZ and think you for all your help

You's guys do ur enlistment so different to over here, im almost 17 nd i've applied for the ADF without hassle, u'd think with all the conflicts on the USMC would recruit at 17 :S

If you have graduated high school, then you can enlist at 17. If you have not, you can join the Delayed Entry Program. The Army allows people to attend Basic Training between their Junior and Senior year. The Marine Corps does not. I would talk to your parents about the DEP, it would be a very valuable tool before you ship out to Marine Boot Camp.

In Germany it works- I did it ^^. My parents had to sign though.
Had my 18th birthday during field basic training- a song was all i got ;)
Still I wouldn't advise it. Live a while before becoming a soldier. But it wouldn't kill you either.
Well anyways us- basic training isn't as hard as german (everyone knows that right?... :rock:)

Speaking of field training, I just found an old video i stuffed together after a field exercise called "survival land" (Überleben Land), i just uploaded it on youtube... the making is quite bad but maybe it's fun for some of you... and maybe you reconsider entering the forces with 17 ^^
Überleben Land

my mom and I really got into it when I wanted to enlist. She was against it in every way. At some point I had enough and said if she did not sign them then now, on my 18th birthday I would be at the recruiting station signing them then. At that point, she gave in.

I guess you will have to pick and choose your battles. If it helps, my mom finally saw the benefits to me being in the Army after about 2 years. My step dad was much more supportive of me being in the Army and was glad when I decided to do 20 yrs.

My parents told me that I have wait until I turn 18 because they don't want to be the ones to sign my death warrant.

Wait until you are 18, then see. Make it clear to your mother that that is what you are going to do, whether she says yes or no doesn't matter, it's your life not her's.

well ok, but uh does it have ot be my mom who signs it? My dad will sign it if he kno's that i really want to do it...

well ok, but uh does it have ot be my mom who signs it? My dad will sign it if he kno's that i really want to do it...

As long as your dad is legally a guardian (read: hasn't had custody taken away for whatever reason) then from what I remember this will be fine. Careful about playing them off against each other, though.

Do not take this decision lightly. I would wait for your 18th birthday and sign yourself. No sense putting your father in that position. What MOS's are you looking at? Remember that there are a lot of education programs to take advantage of when you get to your 1st duty station. You can also get federal tution assistance for classes you take. Find out where the education center is and get to know them.

What I would say is wait a bit before joining. I waited two years and attended some college first and I am so glad that I did. Not only does it give you benefits as far as being able to live a little before you give it all up, if grants you the benefits of a lot of world experience. So many of the kids that show up come straight out of high school and know nothing of the world in which they liHTerve, and have nothing for when they get out. I would say go for two years and get an associates at least. From there decide if you really want to join the military or continue your schooling. Also keep in mind reserve and guard options, both of which can be great for staying with school.

There are a lot of options ahead of you. Dont rush into them too quickly or you may regret it.

but sometimes the opposite works too.
Like you join real early, see what it's like, then go to college (after you get out) then you can either carry on with your life or think about coming back as an officer.

Back