I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!

youngCAPcadet

I am a CAP TSgt, I just got put in charge of an all female flight. I have not had that much previous leadership experience. Could someone please give me some advice. I am dealing with all females, and I am having trouble with gaining respect! Help!!!

Is their anyone in that group their higher rank then you? If not give them push ups That's what I do if my squad don't listen to me.

you dont earn respect by doing that, they begin to fear you...best way to get respect is to treat them with respect, joke around a little, but never go to first name basis, the first time they call you Julie (not that its ur name, its just an example) you know you have lost all respect, if they f :cen: up really bad, explain what they did wrong, and then give them push ups, thats what i did to earn the respect of my squad and i am going to be getting plt sgt at the end of this semester because i have the best squad in the battalion :D

rotc boy said:
you dont earn respect by doing that, they begin to fear you...best way to get respect is to treat them with respect, joke around a little, but never go to first name basis, the first time they call you Julie (not that its ur name, its just an example) you know you have lost all respect, if they f :cen: up really bad, explain what they did wrong, and then give them push ups, thats what i did to earn the respect of my squad and i am going to be getting plt sgt at the end of this semester because i have the best squad in the battalion :D
Plus I asked my master cheif that question that and he said do what
I said befor you posted here.

We aren't allowed to make them do pushups :x The hardest thing I have come across, is that I am BEST friends with two fo the girls. They can't seem to get that at CAP I am in charge, and we aren't just messing around. I try to explain that out of CAP, we can be on a first name basis, but not in CAP

That's hard. I am an officer of Fredericksburg High School Navy JROTC.
I think you have to listen what people said. Treat them nice and tough something like that. Geez...that's hard to gaining respect.

I know :evil: Somebody somewhere decided they were going to threaten to sue CAP because they couldn't do the number of pushups they tried to make them do.......................

youngCAPcadet said:
I know :evil: Somebody somewhere decided they were going to threaten to sue CAP because they couldn't do the number of pushups they tried to make them do.......................

same thing happened with my AFJROTC...someone tattled to mommy because their sorry ass couldnt do push-ups because he was too out of shape...now we can only give essays...IT SUCKS!!!!!!

C/CMSgt Henderson said:
youngCAPcadet said:

same thing happened with my AFJROTC...someone tattled to mommy because their sorry ass couldnt do push-ups because he was too out of shape...now we can only give essays...IT SUCKS!!!!!!
What a bunch of babys! :roll: :lol:

ya, have "plt nights out" where everyone in the platoon goes somewhere every friday night, it raises motivation, you get to know the people better

we used to do a thing every friday where we would go out, we would go to Austin park and pizza (an amusement park) go watch movies, play some combat soccer, just different things every friday, it was really fun, but havent started it again this year...

Well due to CPP (Cadet Protection Policy) forced actions are not allowed like push-ups...which stinks :cry: There should be a little bit of force allowed to form dicipline. I'm a martial arts assistant instructor and the best way to earn respect is to be strict but explain that it's neccessary to be that way at certain times to accomplish certain objectives. Yes I'm 13 and you all probaly might not believe me. Although this might not work it will explain to them that to enjoy what they are doing is to respect their leader. After the meeting explain why you have to do what you have to do. Now I deal with 8,9,10 year olds (used to be 4,5,6 but they were too much stress) so this might be a little different. I'll get more on later, right now I need some sleep. Remember: "Respect is something you don't get right away, you must earn it". But due to CPP...things can be a little rough. Although I'm just a C/Amn right now, I've seen what the leaders in CAP do...at least in my unit. Uhh I gotta go I'm kind of just bustin my chops.

Navy Boy said:
Is their anyone in that group their higher rank then you? If not give them push ups That's what I do if my squad don't listen to me.

Are you guys aloud to do that? I would love to be able to use PT as a punishment and even receive it as a punishment. It, in my opinion, creates more discipline but thats a big no no in the CCM.

And as for tips on gaining respect, show your cadets that your the right perosn for the position. If your staff gave you this position, they gave it to you for a reason. The staff have obviously noticed your leadership qualities and are putting it to the test by giving you the position and now you have to show those cadets why you have the position. Make them see what your staff saw.

What I always do when Im put in charge of a section is have a down-to-earth chat with my group, basically what Sgt Eversmann did in BHD, when he was put incharge. Let them know that you want to work together as a team to get things done and also let them know whose the boss.

If one cadet is not really listening to you, what I would do is give them a warning, say "Hey, I know ya wanna have fun and all but it's time to be serious" and if they continue use a more authoritative approach, by maybe saying "OK, Ive given you a warning and now It's really time to smarten up. If this continues I will take it up the chain-of-command and disciplinary action will be taken." By saying this your letting them know that your in charge and are not afraid to do what it takes. Now if they continue, actually take it up the chain of command, dont just threaten it, because then they will know that you mean what you say and hopefully the will have a better attitude towards you.

This is just what I do whwenever Im put in a leadership poition, but I always remember to adapt to the situation, so if your leading a group say on a dangerous slope, dont be slack. People could be at risk and they need to listen to you for safety reason, but if your all gathered around a map and cadet bloggins says something out of line...well, i think you get it.

If anyone could even correct me on what I do that would help me also because Im at the stage in cadets right now where I am taking on more leadership roles and I would like to be the best I can be so that would be great.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hmm...you have a point on that one. I can't explain it any better than what you have here. Going to PT, however, the Civil Air Patrol is not allowed to use punishment like that. At least from what I hear. We have a Cadet Protection Policy so any from of physical disapline is not allowed. I would like it though in a way.

That is the same here but in the big picture it makes sense to have these sort of policies. There are other efficient ways of disciplining some one though, you just have to be creative. In my cadet corps, we had a meeting tonight with all the section commanders, platoon warrants and other staff and in that meeting we discussed what sorts of disciplinary action we can take towards cadets. Usually on a PT night we get a lot of people pretending to be sick so they can just lounge around with the other 10 "mysteriously" sick people and what we were able to come up with is to sit them down in seperate rooms with a cup of water and do nothing for the rest of the night. We figure this way people will want to play the sports so they're not bored out of their mind and if everyone is playing, they can be with their friends to, and this results in more participation and fun.

rotc boy said:
you dont earn respect by doing that, they begin to fear you...best way to get respect is to treat them with respect, joke around a little, but never go to first name basis, the first time they call you Julie (not that its ur name, its just an example) you know you have lost all respect, if they f :cen: up really bad, explain what they did wrong
ROTC boy is right, that's sort of what I did with my flight at encampment. We got honor flight of encampment. When it's an easy time you can joke around a bit, or get to know your flight a little more. But other than that you need to be focused on the goal. If they mess up, don't be afraid to get mad at them and to yell alittle. Set limits as well. In the long run limits will earn you respect.

Back