Need help identyfying medal

jazznblues

Hi folks,

A family member of mine has a medal that we cannot seem to identify. I thought I would see if someone here would have some knowledge about it.

The pic is here:

http://informationstuff.WebStarts.com/index.html

On the back of the medal is the following:

Herm.Biener
Jos.Eikenbusch

I am assuming those are names.

Really curious to find out about this medal.

jazznblues

It reminds me a lot of an Austrian shooting medal I have seen but I can't find an exact match for it there.

I have to agree with the above poster as it looks like a shooting medal from some where or other and it does not have to have a military connection either. It could have been a prize at a shooting club

The cross that the central circular part of the medal is mounted on is what will give you its nation of origin they are usually very distinctive as are any crowns as most countries had a different way of displaying them.

Thank you. My father in law said he thought it would be some type of Marksman medal. I'll keep searching but it may just be something that was awarded at a competition or something like that so there will be no "trace" of it. The story behind it that he knows and he can't say it is 100% accurate is someone came back from WWII with this medal. It was assumed it was something that was exchanged/traded with someone. I can only assume the trade was with someone who is named on the back of the medal.

It is entirely possible it is German but it issued before the rise of the Third Reich as it was 1933 and it is post Imperial Germany or it would carry an Imperial motif however it does use a very German style to the cross as you can see from this picture of a Bavarian 40 year Faithful Civil Service Medal.

m474.jpg

My guess would be that it is a German or Austrian civilian marksman medal of some type, given that it is a fairly substantial medal I would guess that it is provincial/state level medal.

Back