need help: history of Military Coded Messages

CorvetteMania!

Greetings, I am new to this forum, and I joined it because I was hoping that some of you guys could help me with something. I am doing a history project for school, and the title of my project is "Military Coded Messages: From Rome to Iraq". For my project I am researching different ways that militaries have coded their messages so that their enemy can't figure out what the message says. I am also going to research how these coded messages have changed since Rome, to now in Iraq. But to do this, I need help from you guys. If any of you worked in the military, or specialize in this general area, I would greatly appreciate any information you can give me. I mainly want information on how different countries avoided enemy interception of messages, such as the "clickers" used by the allies during WWII. If you aren't specialized in this area, but still have some information that I could use, please share. Any information or links would be greatly appreciated.

ah...the closest you'll get is maybe a generalized history of how code has changed because anything posted could be a violation of OPSEC. just a warning ahead of time since this could potentially be a sensative topic.

my suggestion:
do a google search for "history of encryption"
i had an essay on encryption and i found a lot of stuff about its first uses via trusty old google

I doubt that you will find much info about modern crypto technology since most (all) of it are classified..

A google search for "history of encryption" etc. could be the easiest way to find some info.
There are several good sites about the subject out there..

Good luck.. :)

Read "The Code Book" by Simon Singh. Great book I read over the summer. It goes over the history,changes,encryption and decryption of codes throughout time. It starts with simple stuff like the "Caesar Cipher" used by the Romans to the German Enigma to modern day quantum cryptography, which is currently what our government uses. But as said before they dont talk too much about quantum cryptography because there is still a lot about it that the government keeps from us.

Back