Need Detailed info on Combat Eng

cheeselets

Hello all,

Can anyone give me detailed information about the responsiblities and activities of a combat engineer in the U.S. Army? I'm joining up next summer and i'm trying to decide a job before a sign papers and since i'll be doing this job for 4 years I think it's important i pick the right one for me.

Any combat eng out there?

thank you,

JJ

I know the job description . . . what I'm looking for is an insiders view on what goes on. I've heard that most combat engineers get perminant hearing loss from the job. Is this true?

Cheese,

I'm not sure what type of Engineer Dexter is, but I'll ask him..... If he is combat, I'll get back with you!!

Depends on the unit's mission. Some spend 90% of their time building, with very little demo time. Unless you are in the field, 12Bs (21B now) get missions that other engineer units get, such as construction assignments/support. With the war in Iraq/Afghanistan going on now, depending on the units, some are being used as infantry/MPs (as most everyone) while others are working the reconstruction.

It's basically a construction job, with the occasional chance to blow things up and if you're teamed up with Infantry, Cav, Armor - you'll typically fit more into their role depending on circumstance and the Co.

I suggest you talk to your recruiter, tell him what most interests you, and find jobs based on that.

Having a combination of combat ability and building skills is necessary when it comes to tackling rough terrain in combat situations. Combat Engineers primarily supervise, serve or assist as a member of a team. They provide much-needed combat engineering, such as building roads, constructing bridges or helping our forces to move across foreign land.

Some of your duties as a Combat Engineer may include:

- Constructing trails, roads and field fortifications such as shelters, bunkers and gun emplacements
- Assembling floating or prefabricated bridges
- Operating various light or heavy engineer vehicles
- Placing and detonating explosives
- Loading, unloading and moving supplies and equipment using planes, helicopters, trucks and amphibious vehicles
- Operating or serving as a crewmember on a combat engineer vehicle, armored vehicle launch bridge or an armored combat earthmover
- Preparing and installing firing systems for demolition and explosives
- Locating mines by visual means or by using a mine detector
Advanced level Combat Engineers supervise and train other Soldiers. As an advanced Combat Engineer, you may be involved in:

- Directing and assisting in the operation of engineering wheeled or tracked vehicles
- Determining zero settings and firing the combat engineer vehicle weapon systems
- Directing the construction of fighting positions and wire entanglements
- Controlling fire team movements
- Placing explosives and clearing misfires
- Conducting reconnaissance operations

Job training for Combat Engineers consists of nine weeks of Basic Training, where you’ll learn basic Soldiering skills, and six weeks of Advanced Individual Training. Your on-the-job training primarily consists of manual work in a variety of construction projects that cover the following:

- Basic construction methods
- Basic engineering principles
- Bridge building
- Road maintenance and repair
- Rough carpentry and rigging
- Use of hand and power tools

- Ability to use hand and power tools
- Interest in construction and working with your hands
- Ability to think and remain calm under stress
- Interest in engineering
- Preference for working outdoors

This job is closed to women. Combat Engineers must meet very demanding physical requirements. Agility, balance and the ability to perform strenuous physical activities over long periods of time are a necessity.

Visit www.goarmy.com and you can chat with a recruiter if need be hopefully this will help you.

How it is

I was a combat engineer in Iraq and here is how it really is. When someone thinks about a combat engineer they think about demmo. Demmo is a very small part of what we do. Out of all the time I was in Iraq, I spent 3 days on a demmo mission. the first 2 days was spent placing the rounds in the holes so we could blow them. Laying Wire is something that no one talks about but the combat engineer does all the time. I mush have layed a few 1000 meters of triple strand while I was over there. Since engineers are always attachments to other units, you will be tasked to do a bunch of things. Manning a traffic control point, convoy security, supply convoys, base security, patrols, radio watch names just a few things. I hope that gives you some inside info on a combat engineer

Back