Need advice

jillyz12

This is going to sound dumb, but are many of you old enough to remember the 80s? Well, my bosses have decided that for Accounts Payable appreciation week this year, we're going to have an 80s-themed party and we're all going to dress for the occasion. God help me. I didn't dress like that when it was the 80s! All I can remember is that girls looked like streetwalkers, and guys just looked.....sissy. :p

If anyone here can recall that wonderful era...:roll:...could you tell me what you remember about the clothes? I'd be very grateful. The really horrific part is that we're going to be out in public looking like that. :shock:

Most of the 80's I was wearing Woodland Camoflage Utilities but I do remember seeing wierdos in parachute pants and mesh tee shirts.

For starters, Whoever can remember the ´80s cant have *lived* them, so not too much advice you are going to get from there...

OTOH, don´t worry, the motto was "Anything goes!"

I remember (gals) dressed with (thanks to mireski at yahoo answers for her help)

- 5/4 stretch pants (leggins), in combination with (half) high heels

leggings.jpg

- same in pantyhose style with bizarre (but beautiful) designs

stolen+girlfriendclub+leggins2.jpg

- Denim mini's with a cute surfer-type t-shirt (OVERSIZED!) and extry broad belt

oversized-shirt.jpg

- leg warmers

2005-legwarmers.jpg

- Keds and bobby socks, or penny loafers, or flats, or mini Cobwboy Boots (!! with leg warmers)

166193_ches_main.jpg

- Lots of bright -neon!- colors.

neon-sweatshirt.jpg

neon-sunglasses.jpg

- Shoulder pads jackets (!)

Shoulder%20Pads%20on%20the%20Runway.jpg

- Fancy dresses with big, puffy sleeves if you want to go more formal

250px-DynastyCast-Season6-1985-1986.jpg

- Dozens of bracelets and big earrings, everything big, long and huge, neon also going:

350__1_neon-bracelets.detail.jpg

- Make-up: Lots of black eyeliner, bright pink lipstick, heavy foundation makeup and powder, lots of blush, lots of teal colored eyeshadow.

- Hair (EARLY 80s, actually a ´70s remnant and not "typical" IMHO): Crispy bangs with tons of hairspray-usually curled under, maybe a little flip in the bottom if you have shoulder length hair - again lots of hairspray! Also, the front of your hair (over your ears) pulled up on top of your head in a scrunchy. There were always dozens of girls with scrunched up, crispy, curly hair.

big-hair2.jpg

- Hair (Later ´80s and from my POV more "the style"): New wave asymetric cuts:

newwave-hair.jpg

Hope that helps,

Rattler

Wow, Rattler.....thanks! I had forgotten about all of those things. Ah yes.....the clothes were anything but figure-friendly. And that big hair...girls must have gone through a can of hair spray a day. I hope my bosses appreciate us participating in this. :mrgreen:

Thanks, again!

OMG. :shock: I can't believe anyone actually dressed like that. Thank you Mom and Dad for raising us on a ranch where jeans, tees, and boots were the only thing we wore. LOL

OMG. :shock: I can't believe anyone actually dressed like that. Thank you Mom and Dad for raising us on a ranch where jeans, tees, and boots were the only thing we wore. LOL

Ain't that the truth, Sevens? I never got caught up in the fashion insanity that was going on, and that was one time I was especially happy not to be a follower. lol

I must say, I only have great memories of chicks in the ´80s fashionwise... Of cause, it was more the time where we guys could really show off, as fashion for the first time was for men in serious... and show off we did... :):

With the "Anything goes" and the shoulder pads, jackets again, hats allowed and the small ties (I´d love to buy some since years but cannot get any... :( ) and then for the first time in years normal hairstyles we scored big time (check Inga Humpe´s band in the 2nd vid to see what I mean, in the third vid the same guys and you can see why it was considered revolutionary if you look at the - still 70´s dressed - spectators, and: Falco, anyone? CHeck the third vid for a good collection of all the stuff we were talking about - stop it to take a close look for your gig).

Gals: All mentioned features present, and they look great (JillyZ check Nenas makeup for your gig):

Nena, "Leuchtturm"

Ideal, "Blaue Augen"

Ideal, "Hundsgemein"

Falco, "Wiener Blut"

Rattler

I remember Dress Blues, Dress Whites, summer Whites, Winter Blues, Camo's, and Blue coveralls, A lot of beer, and Central America. didn't really see much of America back then.

During the ‘80’s I spent two tours in Korea and another at JFK Center and wore the uniform of the day.
I do remember Korean Bar Girls wearing various styles of clothing and dancing to ‘'GLORIA”.

Hi...

Yup, seeing those photos do bring back memories of the 80s- fond ones actually- I was in my 20s- hormones raging... stuff like that...

It would appear that hwile the ladies fashion seems to have new ones popping out (actually, more like rehash- but what do I know...), the men's fashion seems to be more stable and consistent...

I hope you did have a good time at your party, jillyz... :)

Google. It is an amazing tool.

P.S. Oversized everything-except women's jeans...if you wear jeans get the high waist, clenching your butt as if was spandex sort of jean...and women wearing men's shirts. ...oh and men in tan pants with a navy suit coat.

I look back at the 80's and 90's stuff I wore and I shudder. At least I can use "I was just a child!" In my defense.

Back