Need advice on my scarring that is not self inflicted

thehorizon00

My name is Michael, im currently waiting to go to MEPS. I wish to be an IT in the Navy. I have scarring on my left forearm and both thighs of my legs. The scarring all looks self inflicted. But from the ages of 14-16 there was an abusive adult I had a very wrong relationship with. This person put these scars on me as well as tattoo of their name on my thigh. I can see these scars as suspicious to anyone that sees them because i have been ridiculed much for them. It is my dream to be a sailor and serve my countries Navy combat team with Honor, Courage, and commitment. Can someone give me feedback on how my situation will effect me being a soldier??

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, you would be a sailor...second, a police report would probably help quite a bit. Alternatively, some kind of statement from a third-party psychiatrist that states that you have no mental deficiencies would help as well. Ask your recruiter for specifics.

My name is Michael, im currently waiting to go to MEPS. I wish to be an IT in the Navy. I have scarring on my left forearm and both thighs of my legs. The scarring all looks self inflicted. But from the ages of 14-16 there was an abusive adult I had a very wrong relationship with. This person put these scars on me as well as tattoo of their name on my thigh. I can see these scars as suspicious to anyone that sees them because i have been ridiculed much for them. It is my dream to be a sailor and serve my countries Navy combat team with Honor, Courage, and commitment. Can someone give me feedback on how my situation will effect me being a soldier??

Did you receive medical treatment for these injuries? If so, that will be sufficient as your medical records will have comments regarding the cause. If not, you can attempt to get through the physical portion of MEPS without commenting, if asked, you can explain. They may send you for a psych consult or not, depends on the Dr. preforming the exam.

Have you mentioned this to your recruiter? If not, you should prior to leaving for MEPS.

IMO, the only ones that should know is the MEPS doctor and your Drill Instructor. Anyone else, it's none of their business.

Of course you can always be honest with them and tell them they apparently were never beaten as a kid.

Have you mentioned this to your recruiter? If not, you should prior to leaving for MEPS.

It is something hard for me talk about. Especially when people look at me different for it so i did not mention it to my recruiter. But I will discuss it with him before I go to MEPS.

Back