Ncrssc

Forrest_Gump

Hello CAP Cadets.

I was in the CAP a lifetime ago, well maybe not a lifetime, but 20-some years ago. What I'd like to hear about is if the North Central Region Special Service Corps Encampment is still running. I went to "Blue Beret" in the early 80's, and I'd like to hear if it's still around, and what it's like now.

Last edited:
Blue Beret is still going strong. I applied to go, as far as I know I'm the only one in North Carolina to have applied, so hopefully HQ won't screw me over and I'll get to go.
From what I hear it hasn't changed much, they've updated the buildings, though.

Buildings?

When I went we spent a week at Ft McCoy Wisconsin, most of that in the field, we only slept in the barracks when they let us sleep. The second week was spent in the field at Oshkosh. It literally rained every other day, hard rain. Camp was pretty much wiped out the first night, everything and everybody wet. And we stayed that way until the ride home.

Even with all the misery, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. I sincerely wish you luck on going, and getting through it.

They may have been referring to the barracks. When I was at the review boards I heard that the buildings may have been redone. I don't remember too much about what they said about buildings, I wasn't too interested in them. I was wondering how much ruffing it I would be doing, and from what I heard I should get more than enough. Also from one website I found hosted by the Blue Beret Commander (I believe) it has pictures from, I'm assuming, when he went at first and then from a few years ago. There were buildings in the second picture and not the first.

A few months after Blue Beret

I can't find the few pics from Blue Beret, but this one was taken about 4 months later at a BlueCap. In fact I had just earned WO a week before this FTX. I'm sure it looks pretty old school to a young cadet like now, but rest assured the Canvas LBE and Cotton uniform was pretty hi-tech then.

Where's the Blue Benie you may ask? Believe it or not, at that time the wearing of the Beret was forbidden at any activity above squadron level. Thankfully that policy went away.

My only regret is that I didn't go a couple of years earlier and get an "eight ball" patch.

Attachments

• CAP.jpg
    CAP.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 8
Now berets recieved at an activity can only be worn in that wing. But I heard they may be doing away with that at some point. I'll see if I can find the website later today.

Edit: I found the website. The pictures I'm referring to are near the bottom of the page (Hint: "The Old" and "The New") http://www.search-rescue.net/bb/index.html

Last edited:
Who is the blue beret? I have never heard of them before. Could someone explain about it to me, please?

I had found my blue beret and some other CAP stuff in a box getting read to move and wondered what happened to the group. I did a search on google and found this thread.
I went to WI for the encapment and air show in 82, 83 and 84. Got my Bill Mitchel award and went into the Army & airborne school. NCRSSC rocks. I had so much fun!

Does anyone know of an airline that flys to Whittman Regional Airport? My parents won't let me pay for NBB till I find a way there, so that means I have seven days to find a way up there. Any help would be great, thanks.

Back