NBC sends wired muslim men sent to NASCAR race on sting operation

Duty Honor Country

There are some things that gets my blood boiling. This is one of them. There is a huge difference between reporting news and creating news.

'Outrageous' that 'Dateline NBC' targeted track for segment

By JENNA FRYER
Associated Press

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - NASCAR said it was "outrageous" that "Dateline NBC" targeted one of its race tracks last weekend for a possible segment on anti-Muslim sentiment in the United States. NASCAR said NBC confirmed it was sending Muslim-looking men to a race, along with a camera crew to film fans' reactions. The NBC crew was "apparently on site in Martinsville, Va., walked around and no one bothered them," NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said Wednesday.

"It is outrageous that a news organization of NBC's stature would stoop to the level of going out to create news instead of reporting news," Poston said. "Any legitimate journalist in America should be embarrassed by this stunt. The obvious intent by NBC was to evoke reaction, and we are confident our fans won't take the bait," he said. NASCAR is in the final year of a broadcasting agreement with NBC Sports. "'Dateline' is looking into this story," NBC said in a statement. "We were intrigued by the results of a recent Washington Post/ABC News poll and other articles regarding increasing anti-Muslim sentiments in the United States. "It's very early on in our newsgathering process, but be assured we will be visiting a number of locations across the country and are confident that our reporting team is pursuing this story in a fair manner," it said.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/racing/123344

We had something similar overhere. A magazine parked a car near a soccer stadium and informed some of the hooligans were to look. The car had stickers, caps etc from the opposing team and subsequently thrashed by the hoolies.
When people found out that it was a set up just for kicks and not news.... well the magazine never got over it and now it has the label of "gutter-journalism" and not taken very seriously anymore. In short: what comes around goes around!

Just another example of sensationalism in the news. I am surprised they did not stoop to actually baiting people with anti-American comments and suggestions.

NBC.

Nazi Broadcasting Company.

They will stoop down to any level to make "white conversative folks" look bad. They try to make gun owners, Christians, hunters, conversatives, Republicans, Military Service Members, and other "anti-social elitist" look bad.

Precisely the reason I dont watch US mainstream 'news' anymore. Its either bogus BS like this, political partisan BS, or fluff news like Paris Hiltons new boob job, as if anyone really cares...

I would think the only expression on the faces of the other in attendance would be looks of shock and confusion. I mean seriously, NASCAR is a sport whose fanbase is made up almost entirely of rednecks from south of the Mason-Dixon line. I don't understand people's fascination with it, I don't even understand why I like racing, but I do, I like watching NASCAR on the tele. This was stupid of NBC to do this, but hey, I kind of think it is funny in the end, they got burned because of the civility of the people in attendance at this race. I don't honestly know what they hoped to prove here, I am sure anti-Muslim sentiment is just as high in California and New York as it is in Alabama. Now if NBC had really wanted to get a story they should have sent these men in there wearing shirts celebrating the attack on 9/11, then they could have had their stories about anti-Muslim sentiment, of course they wouldn't mention what the men were wearing.

Please note, I can call anyone who watches NASCAR a redneck because I do and I am one. Or at least so I tell myself. Did I ever tell you guys how to properly celebrate a redneck Fourth of July? Just remember three key words, FFA, Fireworks, Firearms and Alcohol.

FFA, you got it just about right on that.

NBC is just showing their true colors. They are Anti-American.

mmarsh said:
Precisely the reason I dont watch US mainstream 'news' anymore. Its either bogus BS like this, political partisan BS, or fluff news like Paris Hiltons new boob job, as if anyone really cares...

They learned all of that from the best, the European media. :mrgreen:

With US news and Euro news being like it is, you're better off getting your news from China. :-?

My news come form one Source. PEOPLE THAT ARE THERE. Such as my friends in Iraq and Afghanistan. Or from my own eyes and understanding of World Politics.

I am surprised at the restraint shown by my fellow Nascarites in that they were only film facial expressions and not something more... I bet that is what the NBC folks were counting on, happy they were disappointed.

wow...the level people will go to in order to get a few more viewers...sad. NASCAR has a lot of trashing done about it because it is a "redneck" sport. just because the majority of its watchers are southerners doesnt mean its a redneck sport. there are rednecks in maine...every state has rednecks...apparently NBC believes that rednecks or people in southern states are automatically racist...course, my dad always says it takes one to know one...

The term Redneck, when I was growing up, meant "hard worker." I know it has changed a little bit over the years, but for the most part, those that are "rednecks" are still just good ole boys enjoying the simplicities of life. Just because someone uses the term, I don't automatically attached a negative connotation to it, or align it with the KKK or other fringe groups. No one should.

I've also found over the years, like your dad, that those who scream the loudest about others being racist, are generally, themselves, racists.

Back