NBC sends wired muslim men sent to NASCAR race on sting operation

--
Boots

April 7th, 2006  
Duty Honor Country

Topic: NBC sends wired muslim men sent to NASCAR race on sting operation

There are some things that gets my blood boiling. This is one of them. There is a huge difference between reporting news and creating news.

'Outrageous' that 'Dateline NBC' targeted track for segment

By JENNA FRYER
Associated Press

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - NASCAR said it was "outrageous" that "Dateline NBC" targeted one of its race tracks last weekend for a possible segment on anti-Muslim sentiment in the United States. NASCAR said NBC confirmed it was sending Muslim-looking men to a race, along with a camera crew to film fans' reactions. The NBC crew was "apparently on site in Martinsville, Va., walked around and no one bothered them," NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said Wednesday.

"It is outrageous that a news organization of NBC's stature would stoop to the level of going out to create news instead of reporting news," Poston said. "Any legitimate journalist in America should be embarrassed by this stunt. The obvious intent by NBC was to evoke reaction, and we are confident our fans won't take the bait," he said. NASCAR is in the final year of a broadcasting agreement with NBC Sports. "'Dateline' is looking into this story," NBC said in a statement. "We were intrigued by the results of a recent Washington Post/ABC News poll and other articles regarding increasing anti-Muslim sentiments in the United States. "It's very early on in our newsgathering process, but be assured we will be visiting a number of locations across the country and are confident that our reporting team is pursuing this story in a fair manner," it said.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/racing/123344
April 8th, 2006  
ASTRALdragon

Oh, wait'll sweeps comes around...
April 8th, 2006  
Ted

We had something similar overhere. A magazine parked a car near a soccer stadium and informed some of the hooligans were to look. The car had stickers, caps etc from the opposing team and subsequently thrashed by the hoolies.
When people found out that it was a set up just for kicks and not news.... well the magazine never got over it and now it has the label of "gutter-journalism" and not taken very seriously anymore. In short: what comes around goes around!
--
Boots
April 8th, 2006  
Marinerhodes

Just another example of sensationalism in the news. I am surprised they did not stoop to actually baiting people with anti-American comments and suggestions.
April 9th, 2006  
5.56X45mm

NBC.

Nazi Broadcasting Company.

They will stoop down to any level to make "white conversative folks" look bad. They try to make gun owners, Christians, hunters, conversatives, Republicans, Military Service Members, and other "anti-social elitist" look bad.
April 10th, 2006  
PJ24

Pathetic and disgusting, that's all I can say.
April 10th, 2006  
Pop-a-squat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ24
Pathetic and disgusting, that's all I can say.
Amen to that.
April 10th, 2006  
phoenix80

i m not surprised... MSM do whatever one may not imagine
April 10th, 2006  
mmarsh

Precisely the reason I dont watch US mainstream 'news' anymore. Its either bogus BS like this, political partisan BS, or fluff news like Paris Hiltons new boob job, as if anyone really cares...
April 10th, 2006  
tomtom22

Extreme example of sensationalism. Very disturbing to me, what can you believe.