Nazi salute originated in the USA

Mohmar, I don't know if you realize it or not but Rex Curry is a Marxist and will go to great lengths to prove that he has a sound base for his propaganda. If Americans ever saluted the flag in such a manner, what would it matter? The stiff arm salute of Nazi Germany was part of their traditions, which later became a symbol just like the Native American emblem that he adopted for his insignia. When I was in grade school in 1950, we put our hand over our heart while reciting the pledge.

Before World War II, the Pledge was begun with the right hand over the heart during the phrase "I pledge allegiance". The arm was then extended toward the Flag at the phrase "to the Flag", and it remained outstretched during the rest of the pledge, with the palm facing upward, as if to lift the flag. An earlier version, the Bellamy salute, also ended with the arm outstretched and the palm upwards, but began with the right hand in a military salute, not over the heart. Both of these salutes differed from the Roman salute, where the palm was toward the ground. However, during the war the outstretched arm became identified with Nazism and Fascism, and the custom was changed: today the Pledge is said from beginning to end with the hand over the heart.

On topic, I agree with The Cooler King and Missileer, Deathstrike, you're really trying to stretch something here.

all off topic posts removed

There is a time and place for everything. Most of the topics in this forum are on a more serious matter. Lets keep the useless off topic natured material in a different part of the forums.

Doody

tomtom22 said:
On topic, I agree with The Cooler King and Missileer, Deathstrike, you're really trying to stretch something here.

I didn't want to "prove" anything with this thread. I just wanted to put something up of historical value that may not be known to many and surprise others.

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
tomtom22 said:

I didn't want to "prove" anything with this thread. I just wanted to put something up of historical value that may not be known to many and surprise others.

propaganda is different than historical issues

I'll be honest with ya. I didn't actually read the entire page. Missileer seems to agree with the page on the point that the pledge had one part that was similar to the Nazi, Fascist and Francist salutes prior to WW2.

Nope. My point is, I don't care what the page has to say, besides the fact that a salute similar to the Nazi salute was used in American schools during the pledge of allegiance.

i dont diagree witht the fact that they used the salute in american schools a long time ago but hitler did get the idea from the romans. im sure he had no idea that the little kids in schools did the same thing.

Next thing I expect from Mohmar is that the Navajo indians of the American southwest were the originators of the swastika.

See, that's the trick with a lot of online sources. Much of them spout a great and grand load of BS. The "Nazi salute" was originated by the Roman Empire as a salute to the Emperor. It was wholesale copied by Musolini who saw himself as a modern day Caesar and wished to restore the greatness of the Roman Empire. Hitler copied a whole lot from Musolini, who was sortof his hero for awhile (till he proved to be more of a liability than an ally that is).

Next thing I expect from Mohmar is that the Navajo indians of the American southwest were the originators of the swastika.
Actually, you might be amused to find out (if you didn't already know) that the Swastika is from Budhist/Hindu origins. Its a symbol of luck, though I believe that Hitler may have altered the symbol slightly. Why did Hitler use something so very non-German? I always figured he did so because of where he borrowed the word "Aryan" and idea of "master race" from. The Aryans were a white, Indoeuropean people who invaded modern day India and for all intents and purposes, created India's culture and social structure. They were vastly outnumbered by the black/dark people that they had conquered, yet they managed to remain dominant in society for thousands of years. The general idea that "white is noble, black is commoner" is still of some effect in India today. You can see why Hitler liked to borrow from them and point to them as an example. He and others like to revised and make up the "fact" that "the Aryans came from Northern Europe" which is a load of crap and unprovable.

EDIT: Better put in my sources or people are going to thing I'm making all this stuff up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastica
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryan_race

Last edited:
phoenix80 said:
propaganda is different than historical issues

Yes but isnt it a well known cliche that history is written by the victor therefore it is probably all propaganda?

:)

Mighty big paintbrush you got there Monty, be careful to mask off or you'll lose the ability to see through the windows. ;)

I would be more likely to agree, and perhaps you would agree as well, with the statement that all history is biased. That does not necessarily make it propaganda.

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
Nope. My point is, I don't care what the page has to say, besides the fact that a salute similar to the Nazi salute was used in American schools during the pledge of allegiance.
So what ???
This was before this type of salute became associated with the evils of nazism.
In truth there is no connection

Back