Nazi Saboteurs in America

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif] Nazi Saboteurs in America

Minutes after midnight on June 13, 1942, four men, led by George Dasch, landed on the beach in Long Island, New York. Dasch along with his three accomplices, Ernest Peter Burger, Heinrich Harm Heinck, and Richard Quirin, had enough explosives for two years of sabotage.

In Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, another four man team landed on June 17, 1942. They too had enough explosives to conduct two years of sabotage in the United States.

The goal of this mission was to bring the war to America. The eight men were to disrupt our ability to produce and transport crucial equiptment to our boys in Europe and frighten the American population.

Before being able to commit any acts of sabotage, all eight men were arrested by June 27, 1942. All eight were found guilty by a Military Commission. Six of the eight received the death penalty. The other two received prison sentences -- one received a 30 year imprisonment and the other received a life sentence.

[/FONT]The German intelligence service ordered that no similar sabotage attempt was ever again made because of the result of [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dasch's attempt[/FONT]. The German naval high command did not again allow a valuable submarine to be risked for a sabotage mission.
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]
http://www.fbi.gov/libref/historic/famcases/nazi/nazi.htm
[/FONT]

But you see, they were born and raised in America. They spoke the language flawlessly. Like good little nazis, they came back to the Fatherland when Hitler called upon them. Hitler used German-Americans on more than one occasion. Another prime example would be Operation Greif, when about two dozen english speaking German soldiers were sent behind the lines during the Battle of the Bulge to cause as much havoc as possible.

Interesting as just last night I was watching classic black and white Sherlock Holmes with Basil Rathbone as the inscrutable detective in the classic "The Voice of Terror" about this very same thing in ol' Blighty herself.

This reminds me of the time the Americans supposedly sent three agents to Scotland to investigate a possible German invasion of Great Britain under the names "Batman", "The Flash", and "Green Lantern". Well, that must have pissed of the Nazis a fair bit, in the end the three were caught and then freed by two more agents under the names "Dr. Fate" and "Hourman".

Yeah I remember this story. Ultimately, it's a case of a goldfish trying to swallow the Ocean. The German attempts at sabotage were not very effective. I believe that some American aquaintence of theirs snitched on them.

Back