December 22nd, 2004  
A Can of Man

I think he means the F-18s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleStrike
They'll upgrade em.
Nope. By 2007, the F-14D's will be phased out, the last of the Tomcats.
December 22nd, 2004  
Sea_Cadet

F-18 are ugly, I said it yes, and the wing design of the f-14 is awesome.
--
December 22nd, 2004  
A Can of Man

I don't mind the Hornet actually.
But after Top Gun, who wouldn't like the F-14? lol.
It wasn't realistic but the action sequences in that movie ruled. I don't think we've had a movie before or since like it.
December 22nd, 2004  
Mark Conley

Yep..awesome plane. Got to remember..in a salt water type environment..and thousands (in some cases) high G load landings...and just a ton of other thing corroision and cracks just catch up with the airframe.

Now, i hear people out there saying Build more...well that could be a problem. the original industrial jigs and casting molds for the parts were probably sold long time ago for scrap or to make room at the manufacturing areas. To re-tool and put the jigs back in to place could be very cost prohibitive. in some cases its easier to just design and build a new plane from the ground up, then to re-tool the manufacturing process to produce the original aircraft its replacing.

You must also remember that the Tom Cat was produced to basically face a complex soviet threat environment back in the 70s and 80s. Although its probably the most adaptable aircraft ever made..well technology wise you might not need the long range radar and optics set the pheonix missle system required. Spaced base radars, laser optical platforms and such are rapidly being considered as the new high ground of target detection: soon the super hornet may just take its guidance cues for its weapons from these sources.

Who Knows? But i will miss the Tom Cat...requim for the swing wing warrior..