Navy EOD, this where I wanna go,

Yossarian

Forum Resistance Leader
I have been wanting to join the U.S. Navy for ever since I was eight years old, and by join, I mean full out enlist over and over again until I am no longer capable of serving. I do fully understand that no matter how much you may think you know about military life, its always different than what you may think, REALLY different.

But the thing I want to do in the Navy is EOD, and I am almost clueless on what you have to do to make this position. I wan to do this, beacuase, well, I am kinda stuck in between wanting to be a grunt, and a sailor at the same time, and well, SEALs are to hardcore, and , I dont want to be on the cutting edge fighting international skimishes and being a counter terrorism, and recon, and special ops fighter at the same time (sorry if I am mistaken), while I could be back the secured area disarming some bombs, and keeping just at least one more name off the news.

But I also wanted to be out at sea keeping the planet's crucial water ways free for all nations to use, and fighting terror there as well. So I said , I will work towards EOD...

But the problem is, I have no Idea of what I need to be preparing for as soon as I get the chance. And also, what I would have to do in the Navy itself when I get there achieve my status as a EOD team member.

Right now I have no idea what to be planning for, I dont know if there are Marines on EOD, or Army grunts, or tranfered guys, or if the Navy trains all of them theirselves. I dont know if I need a transfer from the Army , Marines,or somwhere else. Also , I dont know if I would have to be a, lets say , Ranger School Graduate, or Officer, or ex Seal, or 10yrs of Marine experiance or what ever I may need.

So to any one who knows any thing about them(especially Navy , Army, or Marine U.S. service men and women among us) could you kinda help me out a little?

Last edited:
Welcome to Naval School Explosive Ordnance Disposal
304 N. McCarthy Ave, Suite 117
Eglin A.F.B. FL 32542

To meet increased requirements for trained Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technicians, as well as to support expanding curriculum requirements, the Chief of Naval Operations, on 1 October 1985, established the Naval School, Explosive Ordnance Disposal Detachment at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida.
The consolidated Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Training Facility supports the Department of Defense Joint Service EOD training mission. This centralizes all basic EOD training at Eglin AFB, Florida.

This is becoming more and more common, joint training commands. Its a great way to save the tax payers money. Typically the instructors will come from all 4 branches and in this case may include civilians.

I remember many years ago going to Jump School at Ft Benning, and being suprised that my Jump Master was Air Force. Needless to say he was pretty laid back. I was actually pretty glad that I didnt get the Marine Jump Master, because he thrashed the piss out of his platoon :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if Admiral Micheal G. Mullens says so, then I am all for it, I hope to make it one day, and be a part of the EOD, I looked at the fitness requirements, and , on the updated ones, I have only one obsitcale the really bothers me, that 500 yard swim, in 14:00s minimum!

I can hopefully complete it on my first try come to judgment day...

while I could be back the secured area

Very rarely will you find yourself lucky enough to be in this situation.

But the problem is, I have no Idea of what I need to be preparing for as soon as I get the chance. And also, what I would have to do in the Navy itself when I get there achieve my status as a EOD team member.

Right now I have no idea what to be planning for, I dont know if there are Marines on EOD, or Army grunts, or tranfered guys, or if the Navy trains all of them theirselves. I dont know if I need a transfer from the Army , Marines,or somwhere else. Also , I dont know if I would have to be a, lets say , Ranger School Graduate, or Officer, or ex Seal, or 10yrs of Marine experiance or what ever I may need.

So to any one who knows any thing about them(especially Navy , Army, or Marine U.S. service men and women among us) could you kinda help me out a little?

All services have EOD and all services attend (and have been attending for years) the same school .... this ensures that all EOD techs have the same base knowledge. EOD is a very much a joint enviroment.

Wow, thanks for filling me in, I will remeber that!

And one last question, in EOD , do you ever get attached to a grunt unit, or platoon on some missions to go hump your way along side them to your objectives?

If so, is it a I watch your back you watch mine type deal? Or is it they protect you will doing thier mission, while you clear the explosives out of the targeted area?

EOD in the USMC is a grunt unit, i dont know about the navy but im sure you will train with the Marines at one point or another in your career. i dont know much about EOD except that both Navy and Marines have them and both Navy and Marine EOD guys go on ships.

I do know that Navy EOD does mine clearing operations and such at sea, but also do land base munition disposal.

Wow, thanks for filling me in, I will remeber that!

And one last question, in EOD , do you ever get attached to a grunt unit, or platoon on some missions to go hump your way along side them to your objectives?

If so, is it a I watch your back you watch mine type deal? Or is it they protect you will doing thier mission, while you clear the explosives out of the targeted area?

Oh how to answer what happens in joint ops and with atts and detts. Don't worry they'll look after you if it comes to that.

EOD in the USMC is a grunt unit, i dont know about the navy but im sure you will train with the Marines at one point or another in your career. i dont know much about EOD except that both Navy and Marines have them and both Navy and Marine EOD guys go on ships.

USMC EOD is not a "grunt unit."

the guys i spoke to on my MEU all said they were attached to the grunt unit and called themselves grunts. i wasnt gonna argue with the Marine. what would you consider them?

eod

EOD is basically the same for all services. The navy gets dive training, the air force gets more air munitions. The school has all services in the same class and many have foreign students. EOD are never assigned to any duty other than EOD. The school is divided up into BVasic, Land mines and booby traps, projected munitions, dropped munitions, nuclear, chemical-bio.

Marine EOD techs. Nothing more... nothing less. Your job as a tech is much different than that of an 0311, even when you're attched to a grunt unit.

I guess it's like being an NBC guy in a rifle company. You do almost everything the rifle platoons do but you'll be left out in some of their training while you do your own thing (NBC detection, decontamination etc). Your rifle is always a basic rifle, never a SAW or a 203.
You consider yourself a grunt but when the guys line up for the battallion v battallion or company v company exercises your a$$ is always tacked next to either the captain or as an auxillery member of 1st platoon (if assigned special NBC duties).

I do know that Navy EOD does mine clearing operations and such at sea, but also do land base munition disposal.

Usually, EOD does not clear Minefields, such work is an Engineer function, and is very dangerous work, much too dangerous to risk the life of an EOD Tech just for Minefield work.

If technical Intelligence is needed EOD will do a mine or two, but Minefields are large, and it would tie up a Team for much too long for EOD to work a Feild.

On the other hand, Sea Mines, Limpet Mines, ect, well the Navy Techs work those.

Then there's special UN Duty, like the Sinai Desert, wich is a very big Minefield, used to be Army Techs could volunteer for Sinai Duty, 6 months kicking mines around the Desert, but I'd think Army Techs are more needed in Iraq now, so that mission could have been put on hold.

Good thinking, I was an Engineer before I went into EOD, in my opinion EOD is a better job.

It's tossed around a lot in the Military, but EOD is really a family, no matter the Branch of Service, or the nation for that matter.

Navy Techs do the underwater mission alone, other than that all Techs go through the exact same school to get qualified, so when working, an Army Tech can work with a Marine Tech and each knows the others abilities, there is no guess work as to what the Marines or Army may teach differently, there is trust, same with the Army working with the Navy or Air Force. I went through Indian Head NOS, so I had to relearn how to cap up, as an Engineer I crimped my cap on one knee close to the ground, just rotating the cap end forward and lowering my head, but at the Navy School I crimped my cap the Navy way, bringing the cap behind my back, we used to joke that the Navy would rather take it in the butt, but everyone did things exactly the same, or you didn't make it through the School.
I can work well with any Tech, just meeting him or her, because I know what they are trained for, and the badges come in 3 different levels.
If a Senior EOD Supervisor, who would have a Master Badge, told me to fart on a piece of Ordnance before starting an RSP, sure, I'd do it, and ask him why afterwards.

As far as the different services;

Marines can field inert ordnance for use as Training Aids, I could never understand that, but the Marines seem to like it, so more power to them.

The Air Force has a lot of Nuclear Weapons to worry about, and the Air Force stole the EOD School off the Navy a few years back.

The Navy does, like I said, the underwater mission, and are counted as Special Operations Forces, but the Navy Training is longer, because of Dive stuff, Underwater Ordnance, and underwater demo. In the Army my Under Water Ordnance block was less than a week long, we were told if we saw any of that stuff laying around to just call the Navy, which made sense to me, and made me quite happy.
The Navy is of course paid extra because of the Dive stuff.
We used to joke that if we found a Hand Grenade in a puddle of water that we were calling the Navy because the ordnance was under water.

The Army has a lot of Techs, the Army has a lot of people to begin with, and the Army has a lot of money.
The Army sends a lot of Techs to Advanced Access and Disablement for INDs, has a few NEST units, does on post, and off post Explosive Ordnance within CONUS, and has the extra people needed for the VIP mission, well, when there is not a War going on or the Presidential Election Cycle is not ongoing. The Army however knows that when short staffed and or the Presidential Election Cycle is ongoing the other services are fully trained to jump right in, no questions asked.

So, I can say that EOD is a very tight nit group, no matter the Uniform, no matter the nation, as a matter of fact we worked well with Russian EOD Techs, before the Cold War ended.

EOD Techs worry about beating the bomb.

Thanks, that gives me some better insight on joining in the future, which I plan to do.

But, that last statement, (we worked well with Russian EOD techs before the Cold War ended)

What are you talking about, they were politically still part of the Soviet Union. And, well, the Soviet Union was on the verge of economic collaspe, as the county's government system spiralled downward, eventually ending in the Coup, then the overthrow of the Soviet System.

If you worked with Russian EOD techs during the cold war, then , you pioneered good relations with the Soviet Union before it collasped.

You have my interest on that, and I am not trying to sound offensive at all either. Just curious....

Back in the day, Russia was drawing down her Nuclear Deterrent, as she was Treaty Bound to do, and the writing was already on the wall as Russia had outspent itself trying to keep up with the United States of America. We would send Techs to work with the Russians, and make sure everything was going according to plan, they would do the same.

The Nuclear Deterrent race was not like the Nuclear Development race, I trained on Russian Nuclear Weapons Systems, I'm sure they had a few good work ups of some of our systems.
The MAD theory was if one side strikes the other, the side being struck wants the striking side to know what's in store for them, and just how many times they were going to be hit for the first strike.

Back