Navy EOD, this where I wanna go,

.The Air Force has a lot of Nuclear Weapons to worry about, and the Air Force stole the EOD School off the Navy a few years back.

It's still NAVSCOLEOD, just down at Eglin AFB, they have nothing to do with running the school.

The Navy does, like I said, the underwater mission, and are counted as Special Operations Forces

To elaborate on this, they aren't considered SOF, the Navy considers them "Special Operations," which is a different term to the Navy as most of us know it. That said, Navy as well as other services techs work with SOF quite often so opportunities are plenty ...but when all is said and done, you're still an EOD tech and they're the operator.

So, I can say that EOD is a very tight nit group, no matter the Uniform, no matter the nation, as a matter of fact we worked well with Russian EOD Techs, before the Cold War ended.

EOD Techs worry about beating the bomb.

This is 100% true.

Don't they still go back to Indian Head after they get done at Eglin? Or has everything moved?

Don't they still go back to Indian Head after they get done at Eglin? Or has everything moved?

It is just TECHDIV at Indian Head now ..... the entire school is down at Eglin. The range, where the physical school is located, is off of the main base but the students are still being housed at the Anchor Inn.

Roger that, I had heard Stump Neck was still up and running, and quite busy now days trying to get a handle on the IED threat in Iraq and Afghan.

Roger that, I had heard Stump Neck was still up and running, and quite busy now days trying to get a handle on the IED threat in Iraq and Afghan.

That they are ... some interesting toys coming from that way of late. None in the field as of yet but hopefully soon.

The school is about to extend IEDs to five weeks (IIRC) so that will be good for our young crab bearers.

I had heard that as well, but I could not get an answer if the School was going to shorten up another block to make room, or just make the school that much longer.

I had also heard is Phase III is a return trip for everyone now.

I've run into more than a few Techs who pulled a lot of time on the ground in Iraq and Afghan, everyone I talk to says the damn place is a mess, I hope the Tech Center comes up with something to make life a bit easier.

I had heard that as well, but I could not get an answer if the School was going to shorten up another block to make room, or just make the school that much longer.

I had also heard is Phase III is a return trip for everyone now.

I've run into more than a few Techs who pulled a lot of time on the ground in Iraq and Afghan, everyone I talk to says the damn place is a mess, I hope the Tech Center comes up with something to make life a bit easier.

They are about to lengthen it altogether to put nukes back in (for lower enlisted) as well as lengthen IEDs by an extra two weeks. I believe when all is said and done it will be about 8 months to complete and of course longer if one has any double tapes in a division.

The course was streamlined a couple of years ago ... much of the information you didn't have to know, but was considered icing on the cake has been taken out to make room for the major fundementals.

To elaborate on this, they aren't considered SOF, the Navy considers them "Special Operations," which is a different term to the Navy as most of us know it. That said, Navy as well as other services techs work with SOF quite often so opportunities are plenty ...but when all is said and done, you're still an EOD tech and they're the operator.

You know, it's funny, to hear the Navy Techs talk now days they are baby SEALs.

Where as, whenever I was farmed out I always told whomever I was with at the time that their new job, on top of all their other jobs, was to keep me alive long enough to do my job, and I was combat arms before going into EOD. EOD is so much better though.
Bullets move way too fast to RSP before you'd end up getting hit with one, so in my opinion, it's always best to stay away from jobs that deal with large amounts of bullets flying around all the time.
I'll have to get in a few jabs now that I know they are not all that special.

You know, it's funny, to hear the Navy Techs talk now days they are baby SEALs.

They love to present that image which is causing problems ... many are spending more time trying to be Joe Operator and neglecting the bare bones of EOD.

Us service folk like to tell 3% truths and 97% fairy tale :)

It's like this, as a part of an amphibious raid unit I do things that are considered "special operations." Raid tactics themselves are sometimes classified as such (in fact, it was raid type operations that led to the birth of the SAS and SBS for example), but this doesn't make me some commando or part of any Special Operations community. We're a rifle company that also does amphibious raids if the order comes to do it.

A lot of guys like to blow up what they do and when they go on leave they stick badges and stuff that has nothing to do with what they did... or they've participated kinda and make a big fuss out of it.

So in other words, EOD guys aren't the only ones who exagerrate. So beware. Some guys claim that some of us have done a mock raid of North Korea, IN North Korea. That is such crap. The only piece of dirt we've ever raided was our own little beach we have here.

Last edited:
Us service folk like to tell 3% truths and 97% fairy tale :)

It's like this, as a part of an amphibious raid unit I do things that are considered "special operations." Raid tactics themselves are sometimes classified as such (in fact, it was raid type operations that led to the birth of the SAS and SBS for example), but this doesn't make me some commando or part of any Special Operations community. We're a rifle company that also does amphibious raids if the order comes to do it.

A lot of guys like to blow up what they do and when they go on leave they stick badges and stuff that has nothing to do with what they did... or they've participated kinda and make a big fuss out of it.

So in other words, EOD guys aren't the only ones who exagerrate. So beware. Some guys claim that some of us have done a mock raid of North Korea, IN North Korea. That is such crap. The only piece of dirt we've ever raided was our own little beach we have here.

In EOD telling tales will get people killed, because if someone tells me they did this or that a certain way, well, I may be working on something and give it a try if I'm out of options.
In EOD we also only talk to other Techs about what goes on, as what does go on is classified, highly classified.
And I can say in EOD, many times, the truth is stranger than fiction.

Now, you take a Raid on North Korea, a good rule of thumb is, for someone telling you they went on a Raid in North Korea, is it never happened, because if such did take place odds are they would not be talking to you about it in the first place, unless it has already been made public knowledge, and even if it were public knowledge, I know if I was on a Raid in North Korea, I would not want my name put out associated with it, because the North Koreans may take offence to such a thing.

On the other hand, take RnderSafe for instance, he can be working on the other side of the Earth, doing something we all do, and taken for granted as the way things work. But, he is working and the thing we all do no longer works the way it always did in the past.
Well, I know about that right away, because RnderSafe, if he is still alive, sends out traffic that gets to myself, as well as everyone else in the Field, to tell us what is different, what is new, what he did that worked, what will not work.
Now, I don't go down to the Club and say "well you know there was this Marine doing this and that, here and there, and something happened unexpectedly, so we all do this now" because if the person had a need to know such the person would already know about it, without me being the one to tell him or her.

Last edited:
Just saying... people exagerrate like crazy.
Especially when you're stationed at a place as remote and mysterious as my posting... they go back and tell all kinds of strange fairy tales and people actually believe that stuff.

Back