Navy Divers Honored For Work At I-35 Bridge Collapse In Minneapolis

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Norfolk Virginian-Pilot
January 15, 2008 By Cindy Clayton, The Virginian-Pilot
NORFOLK -- Navy divers from the Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit Two who worked to recover victims in the I-35 bridge collapse in Minneapolis in August were honored with medals Monday for their efforts.
They paused with a moment of silence and recited the names of the people whose bodies they recovered from the Mississippi River.
“You executed extremely professionally and never gave up,” said Col. Mike Chesney, the defense coordinating officer in Minneapolis. “You represent what’s best about our military.”
Those who deployed to the bridge had medals pinned to their uniforms in recognition of their work during a ceremony at Little Creek Naval Amphibious Base. The unit also received the Meritorious Unit Commendation for work done throughout 2007.
The 17 divers who were deployed to Minneapolis worked with local, state and federal agencies to find missing people, remove debris and recover vehicles from tons of concrete and steel that fell into the River on Aug. 1.
Hennepin County, Minn., Sheriff Richard W. Stanek attended the ceremony at Little Creek and thanked the members of the unit for their hard work.
“It wasn’t easy, I know that,” Stanek told the unit members. “The18 feet of water, the currents, tons and tons and tons of concrete and steel and rebar and vehicles. I know what you did under that water.”
He praised the cooperation between his department and the Navy unit.
“We’d serve with you any day,” Stanek said.
According to the Navy, the following people were given awards: Lt. Li Ping Sung, Chief Warrant Officer Doug Fasseel, Chief Warrant Officer Daniel Mikulski

Back