April 6th, 2009  
AB_Shorts_Momma

That's classic!
--
April 6th, 2009  
rattler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogg
"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck
Which book?

I thought I knew them all (incl. - and please include them you as well with reference to the the question - the Short Stories) but have not come across this sentence (or missed it, stupid me )... No writer is more quintessentially American than him (at least for my age)!

I *love* that guy and the followers, like Theodore Sturgeon, etc., my favorite(s) in all his works is/are split:

- Of Mice and Men (in the theater version) http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/...ce-and-men.htm

- of cause: Cannery Row:
Quote:
Like most of Steinbeck's postwar work, Cannery Row is sentimental in tone while retaining the author's characteristic social criticism. Peopled by stereotypical good-natured bums and warm-hearted prostitutes living on the fringes of Monterey, Calif., the picaresque novel celebrates lowlifes who are poor but happy.
Really where I have been aiming at all my life...

- And the best (IMHO) "Sweet Thursday": If that one is not the quintessence of why we are being here, *you* call it from there ...

Quote:
"Sweet Thursday" reads as a post-war continuation of "Cannery Row". Set on the Californian coast, amongst the junk heaps and flop houses of Monterey, the book brings to life the denizens of a netherworld of laughter and tears - from fauna who runs the local brothel, to Hazel, a bum whose mother must have wanted a daughter.
Really looking forward to solving this mystery,

Rattler