navy attackchoppers

im not completely sure but the U.S's super cobra must be able to,
and also one form of the apache (i think italian) can operate from carrier.

the british lynx is both an attack helicopter and a navy helicopter but im not sure if the attack helicopter varient can work on a carrier.

hope this helps :D

The Seahawk is the Navy version of the Black Hawk.
I can't see why the Apache couldn't be put on the deck of a ship.

yes of course, but I do not think the navy has any attack choppers in the field unless you count the anti submarine warfare

the British SeaKing can attack subs, but is mainly a search and rescue chopper

almost all british choppers can server onboard a ship though: SeaKing,Lynx,Puma,Chinook,Gazelle

I can't see why the Apache couldn't be put on the deck of a ship

I have heard that the apache cant stand (salt/sea) water. Besides that, the apache hasn't got a landing gear strong enough to land on a unstable ship. So I have heard.

How is it that a Cobra won't have much problems but an Apache would go nuts?

It probally has got something to do with the design. For example: there is the blackhawk, but the navy has got the seahawk. Just like the new NH-90. You have the tactical version and the naval version. What the exact difference is, i dont know. But there has to be, because designing a different version of a chopper for a navy seems to be unnecessary work if any chopper could operate at sea with ease. Right?

Well the Cobra gunship actually came first... well I don't know why. But I don't see how an Apache could be modified without too much additional cost for seaborne operations.

CPrime said:

I have heard that the apache cant stand (salt/sea) water. Besides that, the apache hasn't got a landing gear strong enough to land on a unstable ship. So I have heard.

Apaches have been placed on ships. During the first Haiti crisis, Apaches (I believe from the 101st Airborne) were in fact loaded onto naval vessels with the intent of using the vessels as a staging area to luanch the Apaches into combat operations. It was the first time Army aircraft had been placed on a Navy ship since the Jimmy Doolittle B-25 raid on the mainland of Japan in 1942.

CPrime said:

I thought that gear could survive an unpowered drop from not a big height-you know as in crash landing.
So if that's true I don't see any reason for the apache not to land on deck.

Apaches have been placed on ships. During the first Haiti crisis, Apaches (I believe from the 101st Airborne) were in fact loaded onto naval vessels with the intent of using the vessels as a staging area to luanch the Apaches into combat operations. It was the first time Army aircraft had been placed on a Navy ship since the Jimmy Doolittle B-25 raid on the mainland of Japan in 1942.

I thought that gear could survive an unpowered drop from not a big height-you know as in crash landing.
So if that's true I don't see any reason for the apache not to land on deck.

So my source was wrong.

The Royal Navy now operates Apache Longbows from HMS Ocean. They are also capable of operating from the three Invincible class carriers, and HMS Albion and Bulwark. The British Apaches were always designed to operate at sea and have more anti-corrosion features than other Apaches, better rotor anti-icing, and folding rotor blades. They also have more powerful engines.

ocean-apache.jpg

1080829493b.jpg

jamesthegren said:
Just to point out the Apaches are flown by Army Air Corp pilots, but they are rountinely embarked on HMS Ocean.

WHat other attack Helicopter does the British military use? The only thing that comes close to an attack helicopter that the Canadian Forces use is the CH-146 Comanche.

Back