navy attackchoppers - Page 2

--

December 16th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Well the Cobra gunship actually came first... well I don't know why. But I don't see how an Apache could be modified without too much additional cost for seaborne operations.
December 21st, 2004  
ROTCCDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrime
Quote:
I can't see why the Apache couldn't be put on the deck of a ship
I have heard that the apache cant stand (salt/sea) water. Besides that, the apache hasn't got a landing gear strong enough to land on a unstable ship. So I have heard.
Apaches have been placed on ships. During the first Haiti crisis, Apaches (I believe from the 101st Airborne) were in fact loaded onto naval vessels with the intent of using the vessels as a staging area to luanch the Apaches into combat operations. It was the first time Army aircraft had been placed on a Navy ship since the Jimmy Doolittle B-25 raid on the mainland of Japan in 1942.
December 21st, 2004  
rOk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrime
Quote:
I can't see why the Apache couldn't be put on the deck of a ship
I have heard that the apache cant stand (salt/sea) water. Besides that, the apache hasn't got a landing gear strong enough to land on a unstable ship. So I have heard.
I thought that gear could survive an unpowered drop from not a big height-you know as in crash landing.
So if that's true I don't see any reason for the apache not to land on deck.
--
December 21st, 2004  
CPrime

Quote:
Apaches have been placed on ships. During the first Haiti crisis, Apaches (I believe from the 101st Airborne) were in fact loaded onto naval vessels with the intent of using the vessels as a staging area to luanch the Apaches into combat operations. It was the first time Army aircraft had been placed on a Navy ship since the Jimmy Doolittle B-25 raid on the mainland of Japan in 1942.

I thought that gear could survive an unpowered drop from not a big height-you know as in crash landing.
So if that's true I don't see any reason for the apache not to land on deck.
So my source was wrong.
December 21st, 2004  
jamesthegren

The Royal Navy now operates Apache Longbows from HMS Ocean. They are also capable of operating from the three Invincible class carriers, and HMS Albion and Bulwark. The British Apaches were always designed to operate at sea and have more anti-corrosion features than other Apaches, better rotor anti-icing, and folding rotor blades. They also have more powerful engines.

December 21st, 2004  
jamesthegren

Just to point out the Apaches are flown by Army Air Corp pilots, but they are rountinely embarked on HMS Ocean.
December 21st, 2004  
A Can of Man

And there you go
Apaches can operate off ships.
December 21st, 2004  
Sea_Cadet

NIce I wish we did that
December 22nd, 2004  
rOk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time
NIce I wish we did that
To the best of my knowledge the USMC decided on the (modified)Cobra because of financial reasons.
December 22nd, 2004  
Trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesthegren
Just to point out the Apaches are flown by Army Air Corp pilots, but they are rountinely embarked on HMS Ocean.
WHat other attack Helicopter does the British military use? The only thing that comes close to an attack helicopter that the Canadian Forces use is the CH-146 Comanche.